Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 2864 times)

Poppyflower

Progesterone
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »

Was wodering if anyone could tell me how they feel while on the progesterone part of their HRT, good or bad. I am trying to get myself sorted and seeing as how it seems that alot of the symptoms overlap, was looking for some input. I am currently taking a synthetic progesterone, but am looking to switch to prometrium (utrogestan) and then estrogen seperately. I feel that if i seperate then I will truly be able to monitor what is making me feel so strange. Thanks in advance for the info.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:16:43 PM by Poppyflower »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »

Some ladies feel bad at this stage of treatment.  If you do a 'search'?

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:36:29 AM »

I feel better - calmer less jittery - more normal.

evey

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

Hello,
I use Estrogel and use Utrogestan, I feel more tired when on the Utro part, but when I first started using it I couldn't tolerate very well at all, but it has got much better now

Scampi18

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »

Hi do you have to use eastrogen/eastrogen or can you try progesterone on its own, I think I am eastrogen dominant, I can't tolerate it get very angry, my gyni had given up on me I have tried loads of stuff, on antidepressants now got that bad, also have thyroid problems as well that are not getting better on meds, what a pickle, hormones I hate them.
😡 😃

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 07:28:54 PM »

Hi Poppyflower

I feel the same as evey - tired! I use utrogestan for 12 days every 5-8 weeks. I get progessively more tired as the days wear on and sometimes get a migraine. Generally get more foggy-headed too. Progesterone is a sedative so this is to be expected - (in pregnancy the lagre amounts of progesterone are what makes you feel so tired, especially in early pregnancy). Sometimes I also get pmt in the progesterone withdrawal phase but once off it and back onto oestrogen only all is well.

If you feel no worse on progesterone and when you come off it just before the bleed, than you did when fertile and having natural periods, then that is brilliant, and hopefully the effect of replacing the oestrogen - as you get close to, and reach (and pass) menopause - will make you feel better overall than without it!

Much as I dislike the side effects of taking large amounts of progesterone ( which are needed in order that sufficient is absorbed into the blood stream to keep the lining thin) I would much rather take a natural progesterone like utrogestan ( Prometrium in US I think is the same) than any of the synthetic products. Also I agree that it is better to take the products separately so that they can be tweaked to suit the individual (always with the underlying principle that sufficient progesterone must be taken to balance the amount of oestrogen taken and therefore to thin the lining).

There is no way I would ever want to take progesterone all the time because of the sedative effect and I understand that also some of the beneficial effects of taking oestrogen can be lost or toned down too. Downside of this is putting up with a bleed though!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »

I have been wearing Estradot 25mg patch for 11 days now, and taking Utrogestan 200mg at night for the last 8 days. This is because I started my HRT mid cycle.

First night I took Utrogestan I didn't get a wink of sleep. But I very much doubt this was down to the tablets. I was just stressed about taking them and worried about the side effects. Progesterone gets such a bad press on here. The next day I felt terribly low and shaky, but probably due to lack of sleep.

Since then I have had mainly 'good' days (where I sleep okay, and wake up only feeling a little bit of anxiety) but Wednesday was pretty bad and Thursday was a 'very bad' day. Felt extremely low and despairing all day. But then woke up Friday morning feeling very well and cheerful. Have felt fine since then. This morning I even woke up at 6am (seems to be my pattern nowadays) but managed to go back to sleep until 7.20 which I haven't done in months.

Haven't felt any more tired than usual? But I have been taking Kalms Night to make sure I drop off okay.

So I am now on Day 9 of Utrogestan and overall I have to report I have been fine. Which is surprising because I have a long history of very bad PMS, and I know my consultant was concerned how I would tolerate progesterone.

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »

I have just changed my progesterone from patch (as they don't come in 75mh)to tabs they are Northestone the patches were ok, I hope the patches are too, got to start them next week.

Ann x

Kittyjay

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »

Hi poppyflower. I take utrogestan nightly 100mg on a continual basis because I feel a lot better in the progesterone phase than when I took oestrogen and prog on a sequi basis. My anxiety and panic attacks have disappeared (they were pretty bad) taking utrogestan continually. However (there always has to be a however ...!) I get very tired ..... Personally I'd prefer to be tired than depressed/anxious but that's just my personal choice. X

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »

I feel jittery.... >:(

Poppyflower

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »

Thank You for all the replies. Currently I am on the ortho evra patch, which is typically used for birth control. It does seem to be helping me with my symptoms(anxiety, depression, panic which are the most distressing to me but to only name a few), however it also is making me feel kind of tired and like I have just run a marathon and my limbs are all rubbery. it is quite a strange feeling and as what i am on currently is synthetic I think I will try and swith to prometrium and estrogen patches and try them seperately. In the past i was on large amounts of hormones due to fertility treatments and do not remember having any issues; guess I was younger then. Oh Well...I will keep on trying to figure it all out and see what happens. Thanks again.