Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Caruncle  (Read 5149 times)

countrybumpkin

Caruncle
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »

No I didn't type carbunckle ;D  3 years ago when I was at the end of peri meno I suddenly found it mildly painful when I had a wee.  My Gp sent me to urology clinic for a  cytoscopy and the only thing found was according to urologist a carunckle which is a sore area at entrance to urethra caused by lack of oestrogen.  The only treatment is vagifem.  As it was not bothering me too much I declined the treatment as I was not happy having any oestrogen due to family history of breast cancer.
I have not come across anyone else with this in daily life but felt sure that there must be ladies on here who have slightly painful urination due to meno. 
I find it varies enormously in how much it bothers me and is totally connected to my hormone levels so my hot flushes are worse when its more painful and the only time it went away for a week so did the hot flushes.

Dancinggirl

Re: Caruncle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »

I'm afraid this kind of burning and soreness is far more common than we think - women don't like to talk about such intimate things.  I've had it for many years and the severity got much, much worse when I came off full HRT - I was peeing blood but didn't have an infection.  Local and full HRT have made things much better. EVen with a family history of breast cancer, local oestrogen is relatively safe as very little is absorbed around the body - so it may be worth trying. Using non hormonal vaginal moisturisers and gels that keep the vaginal area healthy is also a good idea.  DG x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  It is not a huge problem for me at present ::) although I guess it might be at a later date.

I was wondering about using things like replens etc.

I would consider using the vagifem at a later date if I had to.

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »

HI Counrybumpkin,
I don't know if I've had something similar. There was a specific area down below that was very sore and after sex (extremely painful), it was uncomfortable when having a wee for a couple of days after. I managed to get a practise nurse to have a good luck when having a smear test (the GPs had previously said they couldn't see anything) and only when looking through the tool thing they use for smears could she see this tiny red sore area. I made a separate appt with the GP and had to ask for them to use the smear test tool to look at it. As a result I was given Ovestin and told to apply it just to the area that was sore ( apparently the rest of my bits down there are ok, at the moment anyway!)
I have been using it and will report back at a later stage to see if it helps; unfortunately sex drive is so poor that I'm trying to work myself up to trying out and seeing if less uncomfortable!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »

Local oestrogen won't travel - even if you have a history of breast disease in the family, surely quality of Life is more important?  I had treatment in the 1990s but no way would I suffer 'because'.  My GP was quite happy to prescribe relief for Vaginal atrophy ……… why wait?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »

Because I am a scaredy cat ;D and its not too bad at moment. I know some people do get quite a few side effects when they first start vagifem because thats when you asbsorb it systemically for first couple of weeks - not that I think it will harm me because its so small dose - and is why I thought I would wait until I felt I needed to use it. 
I don't have any other problems down below ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »

I don't use Vagifem but I'm sure ladies will let you know if they have had 'side effects'.  At least you know what is available  ;)

The very word makes me  :madeyes:

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »

Sunnydays please let us know how you go on with the ovestin.

I wonder what vagifem is shortened from  ;D ;D

Sunnydays

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »

Yes, will let you know.
It's an awful word isn't it? As bad as anusol for bottoms! x

MrsMopp

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »

I used Ovestin cream for a similar problem.  I was told that very little was absorbed into your system - not like tablet HRT.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

Ovestin 1mg cream - that's the one!  Works for me  ;) >phew<