Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Teeth and gums - need moral support!  (Read 13376 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Teeth and gums - need moral support!
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »

CKLD - I wouldn't put off seeing the hygienist as they will advice you about this pain as it may be to do with receding gums exposing part of your teeth that don't have dentine.  Receding gums will cause sensitivity and keeping them really clean will be very important - using toothpaste that reduces the sensitivity will help.
Get the advice now to prevent long term problems.  Dg x

peegeetip

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »

Hi

the sensitivity tends to be down to porous enamel and not the dentin being exposed at the side.

Most of the toothpastes are basically plugging up the enamel in our teeth  ;D

The gum would have to recede a long way down the side of the tooth crown for the dentin to show directly without having a problem with the tooth like decay.

I still think a lot of hygienist/dentist cause part of the problem with their picking and poking of the gum line without remedial protection on any cleaned / exposed areas. If the patient has buildup thats caused the gum to recede then dentist chips away the buildup then the area is left exposed for further damage to plaque and acid. Treatment of these opened areas is normally restricted to a quick polish with fluoride paste :(

:-*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:33:14 PM by peegeetip »

Chi chi

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 05:33:53 PM »

Yep another one here with bad teeth and receding gums! For the last 3/4 years it's been worse and for the last year or so much worse! I've been at the dentists at least every month since before Christmas! Ive even been accused of having an affair with my dentist  ;D

I've always said/thought that having the kids took the goodness from my teeth?

I do sympathise as I am also terrified of dentists, not the injections (could have them all day long)! I'm petrified of them not working and being able to feel the work being done  :o

Dancinggirl

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »

The bottom line is, we need keep up a good brushing and flossing regime that removes plaque before it builds up. Plaque building up around the gum line will cause gum disease and gum disease is the biggest cause of tooth loss. Inflamed gums due to the build up of plaque will cause bad breath!! :-\
Receding gums are often to do with age and oestrogen deficiency. My new dentist is insisting I use those little brushes that you insert between the teeth along the gum line to ensure that plaque and food deposits  don't cause further recession and decay along the gum line.
I have to say I'm quite obsessional about cleaning my teeth these days.  I saw some horrors when I was a teenager working with my father in his dental practise - I once had to hold a women's head while he removed her 10 remaining teeth due to gum disease - her teeth had all become loose and the smell of the gum disease was truly awful.
I urge you to brush and floss well ladies.  Dg xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »

>:( :    flossing should be banned - it's not nice all that spit running everywhere  ::)

I try to remember to use those tee-pe brushes regularly.  I have a sharp pointy thing too as I have to remove food after every meal ………  :-X …….. I HATE toothpaste though, hate the taste, the texture, the mess  :-\ !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]