Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Menopause/HRT advice needed  (Read 3680 times)

Jennifer3318

Menopause/HRT advice needed
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »

Hello all, this is my first time posting.  I am almost 54 and had not had a period for about 9 months, I initially went to see a GP because of vaginally soreness (had no idea this was connected with the menopause) and was basically told what do you expect at your age. I was shocked and upset and given no treatment. After becoming very depressed with this i eventually went to see another GP who was very supportive and gave me ovestin cream which did help a bit. I was then put on Climagest 2mg but had very heavy bleeds so now on Femostan 1/5 conti which is good but I am still bleeding very heavy. Would higher oestragen help stop the bleeding or is there anything else better that I could try? My GP is lovely but young so no personal experience of any HRT. I realise how naive I have been about the menopause and should have known more about it but have no one to ask. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dancinggirl

Re: Menopause/HRT advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »

Hi and welcome Jaennifer3318
You have not been naive - I'm afraid most us enter menopause completely ignorant about what it entails.
Do read up all the info on this site - it's really good to be clued up.
A conti HRT may not be right for you yet as you normally need to wait until you have been without a period for 2 years before deemed post meno and therefore a conti HRT is suitable.  It would be better to use a sequi HRT which gives a  monthly withdrawal bleed at your age and stage.  Perhaps move to the sequi version of Femoston?   If bleeding is a problem then it might be good to have a Mirena fitted and have oestrogen in gel or patch form - this is very popular these days as it leads to no bleeding at after the first few weeks.
Hopefully others will be along with more support.  Dg x

jayneaddo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »

Hi there

I use femosten Conti. I bled heavily for about 4 months before it all settled down. I was early menopause and also should have been on Conti. Have been on it 9 years now.  I also use vagifem for soreness and bladder problems.

Good luck
Jayne

dazned

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »

I was on femoston conti at 54 think it states one year free of periods or age 54 . You shouldn't get a bleed with conti but it can take time to settle so give it a while before going back to gp. As you are now getting continuous progesterone you should soon stop bleeding it is when you stop progesterone that a bleed comes. You will find lots of information and help here. Hope you get settled soon.

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »

Hi Dazned and Jayne,
I'm trying to send you both a personal message but can't work out how to do it! I can pick up messages sent to me, and reply to them, but can't work out how to send a completely new one - der!

I see that you both use Femoston conti. Would you mind giving me some feedback on how you find it in terms of symptoms,  side effects, dosage and what time of day you take it? I'm 2 years with no period and have tried femseven conti patches,  straight in at medium dose. The headaches and nausea were too severe so had to stop; still no good when I reduced to quarter of a patch. I think  it's the progesterone they use. I've seen on this forum that Femoston has a gentler progersterone content. I was reluctant to take tablet form but might give this one a go. I've been prescribed the ultra low dose to start with, and wondered if I took one in the morning and one in the evening that would equate to just a low dose and stop the spike in hormones which I'm told can trigger the headaches. I know I should ask the GP but as nice as they  are, they just don't have the knowledge on it! Any comments will be gratefully received.

Jennifer, apologies for posting this under your thread. Welcome to MM. The site gives lots of info and the forum is very helpful. Good luck with it all.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »

Hi Sunnydays - you just go into Members in the blue bar at the top of the page (under your profile bit), select the member you want to message and click on their name. This will bring up the "send private message" box. Think that's right! If the member has been posting on threads you can just click on their name on the thread and that will also take you to the same place.

Taz x

Sunnydays

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Success - thanks Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »

You're welcome!

Taz x  :great:

Jennifer3318

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:33 PM »

Thanks to everyone that's replied, I will carry on a bit longer and see if the bleeding calms down. I  just want to go back to being the person I was 6 months ago. I was a happy, outgoing person who turned into a misery always tired and grumpy.  I guess I should have been more prepared but to be honest never get the menopause a thought! X