Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: It does get better  (Read 2347 times)

Woods01

• First Flush
It does get better
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »

I haven't posted before, but just wanted to let other members who  may be struggling know that it does all get a bit better. I was on this site viewing all my different symptoms every single day, and now I just dip in once in a while.
 I'm 54 now, and started this journey at about 48.   At my worst time, I had terrible joint pains, confusion, memory loss, heat in face, itchy skin, dizziness, nausea.  Tried and failed with several types of HRT, which helped my joint aches, but wasn't worth all the other side effects.
Since stopping HRT, it has taken about 9 months for my body to 'settle' again and out of the blue I have started to feel 'normal' again.  I still have very bad joint pains, some hot flushes and tiredness due to insomnia, but nothing like before.
Just wanted to say that it really is a very hard ride you're going through, but it gets steadier eventually I promise!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: It does get better
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »

:thankyou:

I too have come through the other side as have several of my friends. 

Janice68

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »

Hi Woods01, I've had similar things to you and I also  didn't  get on with HRT and since I've stopped all that I've taken one day at a time with all my symptoms and it feels that I've made big improvements there. Best decision I ever made was calling it a day with HRT well full hrt. I do use vagifem though which is a life saver.  Hrt can help others but it didn't help me and the horrible side effects it came with . But not everyone gets them I know!!
 Anyway just had hip replacement so that has kept me occupied recently.

All the best and thanks for sharing
Jan x

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »

Thanks for the post as it's so important that we keep perspective and believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel which there clearly is!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »

Hi Woods01

:welcomemm: and thanks for your post - but I am sad to hear you are still suffering with flushes, tiredness and joint pains.

By the way YOU did not fail with HRT! It failed you - and that was probably because your doc did not find the right type/dose/regime that suited you. If you feel you want to try again - there is sure to be one out there that will ensure your flushes are eliminated and so that you get that all important night's sleep. We can help you decide if you feel you want to try again. Do remember that at your young age you have many years of post-menopause ahead of you so it's not too late to change your mind - but the sooner the better. You don't want to get to 65 and look back and think I wish I had tried again.... on the other hand you might be climbing Mount Everest - who knows?!!

I started HRT at your age and have been on it for 10 years and it's the best thing I've done - I sleep like a baby, no flushes or sweats or joint aches, and mood is on an even keel all the time - never low.

Anyway whatever happens - I'm so glad you are feeling positive and so much better than you were - long may that last :)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »

Hello Woods01.

Thank you for your post as I needed to read positive comments today!

When my menopause got under way I thought I'd hunker down and push on through it. After three years without periods but plenty of symptoms I decided I needed help and sought HRT. I've tried various preparations but continue to have symptoms that trouble me and when I do have spells of feeling better  I can never figure out why! I'd love to believe that a normal life is on the horizon and your comments have given me hope.

Thanks again for your message and I wish you continued good health.

K.

Woods01

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »

What incredibly supportive and positive ladies use this forum!  I didn't expect to get responses, but everyone was very kind.  Thankyou particularly to Hurdity - I have read many of your posts and you really have some excellent advice for us.  Hope we all continue this journey with good health. x :)

Yammy1

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »

Woods01  it's great to hear some positive news, Like you I have tried hrt a few times and it really isn't for me. I know it works for many women but not all. It's very reassuring to know that I don't have to take hrt to get through this meno and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't exactly know where I am on this meno journey as I had a hysterectomy five years ago aged 48.  But today is a good day and i'm feeling a bit more optimistic, just taking it one day at a time. once again thanks for helping me realise and  accept that hrt is not the be all and end all., and that you can survive without it. Maybe some day in the future I might need to try it again but until then I'll face each day one at a time.x