Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: How did your GP respond?  (Read 27763 times)

peegeetip

Re: How did your GP respond?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »

Having to defend "yet" again on a post regarding net manners  ;D
Funny but this is not the first time this nonsense gets thrown into a different view point.

I don't hear anyone with High blood pressure stating their condition "is just Natural" with such gusto as some on this forum.
Deride the comments as you may.
Some seem to ignore that people trivialize our "natural" condition and by not understanding that point is just avoiding the facts that we have problems when seeking treatment.

Perhaps the "How did your GP respond?" would be more consistent if we approached the condition with the same view as the High blood pressure one.
Perhaps our GP's would have a consistent view on what it was. No doubt they've had the same confusing discussions of what peri and meno was whilst they did their training.

As for menopause not being man made, then perhaps we should be more careful on that too ::)
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150128141417.htm

???

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 11:41:56 PM by peegeetip »

BrightLight

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17:04 AM »

Well, after reading this thread I have to say that I've been really lucky and I'm sorry some of you have had such unpleasant experiences. 

My GP took bloods after hearing my symptoms and when my results came back showing I was peri-menopausal at the age of 43 I was shown consideration and care.

I was given options on medication and advised because of my age to seriously consider HRT. My GP gave me time to have a think and on my next appointment we chatted about what would be best.

Sadly I had a negative reaction to  the progeston (?) of my Evorel Sequi and had to go back. My own GP was unavailable and I saw a male doctor this time and he was fantastic as well.

He's trying me on Femosten and if I have difficulties with this, he'll refer me to the menopause clinic at the local hospital.

For the record, I am of the opinion that menopause is 100% natural...just the same as menstruation. It's a biological process, it's not man made and it happens to each and every one of us ladies.

MC.xx

It's good to hear you had a good experience, sounds clear, straight forward and supportive when you needed a change and proactive too :)

Dorothy

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »

Childbirth is not man-made

Hmm...I was never much good at biology at school, but I did think a man was involved somewhere along the line...  ;D

Dorothy

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »

Seriously, child-birth is a natural process, but when there are complications, medical intervention is needed. 

Menstruating is a natural process, but if it causes life-limiting constant pain and weakness due to heavy bleeding, then you go to your GP for help.

Likewise, the menopause is a natural part of growing older, but if it causes problems that limit your life, you should be able to receive help.  I don't see why it has to be treated differently to any other health issue.

Perhaps the problem may lie in the way it is seen as a problem for older women?  A year before my father died, he went to his GP with some symptoms and was told 'it's your age - get used to it'.  I pushed him to go for a second opinion and he was found to have had a heart attack.  TWO other people were told the same thing by the same surgery that year and they were both found to have had heart attacks too.  No idea how many more never went back for a second opinion...  The attitude was that medical problems in anyone over 70 were the result of age and no point doing anything about it.

peegeetip

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »

Oh stop the confusion!
If the doctors treated more of our complaints with "its just natural" response.....

Patient "doctor I have a pain!"

Doctor "oh but that is Natural, your body is just doing that naturally to make sure you avoid whats causing the pain"

Patient "what can you do about it doctor"

Doctor "oh nothing as its just a Natural response and process"

Patient "but surely you can give me something for it"

Doctor "but there are risks if I give you something for it, you might get on with your life and make it worse"

Patient "but I'm in pain, please help me"

Doctor "I'd rather not as you should be able to get on with it as its natural"

Patient "But I feel ill with it, can't you do something for me"

Doctor "there is no need to give you something as its natural and will go away by itself sometime in the future"

Patient "how long will that take"

Doctor "I can't tell you how long it will take but it will go away eventually"

Patient "but its making me feeling horrible about myself"

Doctor "oh but I can give you something for that"

Patient "please give me something"

Doctor "here is a prescription for Anti Depresants, that will make you feel much better"

Patient "but what about my pain I'll still have that"

Doctor "you'll just have to live with it but you'll feel so much better whilst you do"

So how confusing would it be if we were told many more things were just natural and "get on with it".

:-\

GeordieGirl

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »

A tangent to where this thread started out, but I have to admit I'm in the "Let's-Treat-It" camp on this one.

Death is natural but over the centuries medics have sought to push this back as much as possible - and successfully too, we've a good 30 years or so on our great great grandparents. Child birth is natural, but that doesn't stop us taking pills for many decades to prevent it - and this is a factor too in the increase of our life expectancy, having 12-13 pregnancies was not only wearing for a body but often resulted in death in childbirth too.

My menopausal symptoms are mild - insomnia and my previously wild hair is thinning and actually coming under control - but I seek to balance my hormones not as a cure or a crutch for the 'change', but as preventative medicine. I don't want to be one of those old ladies bent double in pain with osteoporosis (side note - studies in Sweden on old women in care homes showed that progesterone supplements not only stopped osteoporosis but actually increased bone density). I don't want to lose my memory or reasoning skills so much so that by the time I'm 70 I'm merely a fraction of who I was.  I don't want to be at greater risk of cancers or heart diseases because of a general imbalance in my system.

If I went to my GP with osteoporosis, no doubt he'd give me something to treat it. Why then when we are at greater risk of developing osteoporosis (et al), are we dismissed and told it's simply part of getting old? Surely prevention is better than cure, both for the patient but also for the cash-strapped NHS?  Our system is curative rather than preventative but I'm not going to let that affect my coming years - I've far too many plans  :)

Whether an individual chooses HRT, BHRT or vitamin / mineral supplements, it IS important to look after ourselves if we want to maintain our health (and sanity!) as long as possible.  I like to feel good, I want to keep that feeling and not wake each day in pain due to something that may have been preventable if I'd only been given the  right information by those we trust. (Although I have to say I've learned to trust them that little bit less over the last few months).

GG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »

I've just been reading today that according to a new study conducted by the Scripps Clinic:

People who use sleeping pills have a 530% higher death risk (and a 35% higher cancer risk)
    Patients who were prescribed as few as 18 sleeping pills per year had a 360% higher death risk.

I wasn't prescribed HRT when I first went to my GP, I was given sleeping pills (prescription in the bin).
Obviously HRT was too 'dangerous' an option ...hm.

I haven't seen the stats for ADs yet, but I suspect they rank somewhere above HRT too in the danger ranks.

Call me a cynic, but I don't think our general GPs approach on HRT has much to do with the real statistics at all but rather a lack of knowledge and (even more cynical?) - interest.

GG x

P.S I haven't read the report in full so can't verify how the above statistics were obtained but I suspect the general message bears weight - ie that few synthetic drugs are without side effects, and the ones often fobbed off on us can be amongst the worst.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:29:22 PM by GeordieGirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »

::)  …….. now I've got to go back and read what I've writ   â€¦â€¦â€¦ 'cos Meno Brain me can't remember what day it is leave alone much else  :D ……

I have decided that when I next make an appt. with my GP or Practice Nurse that I will say 'thank you' for being supportive and add that some GPs do not give sympathy etc. and what can the BMA do about it ………  ;)

Off for a browse

Right - I was born under weight and should not have survived but with intervention I did.  Forutnately it didn't leave me with too many health problems other than the phobia which has ruined some of my Life.  It causes huge anxiety and restricts much of what I do.  So although anxiety is 'natural' and I am aware of why it happens but it is over-whelming.

Fortunately my GP has been wonderful.  He has tried every which way to help all of the medical conditions that I have fetched up in the Surgery with.  Sometimes he's been a bit 'short' or not explained in a way I could understand so I have made another appt., taken my list of queries and gone in saying 'I was not listening properly last time, could we go through it again'.  Maybe because I am a medical secretary that I can be more forceful ……….  he's thinking of retiring  :-\

Education, education, education ……… communication, communication etc. etc. etc..

It's not only menopause sadly, I've heard a couple of horror stories in the last couple of months that would make you stay in bed for ever  >:(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:42:55 PM by CLKD »

BrightLight

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

I don't think anyone here is saying dont treat hormonal imbalances rather we are agreeing that GP's don't know enough and the options offered are confusing at times.

I want to treat my health in a preventative way and with a positive attitude, I'm finding that pretty hard amongst the culture that exists around healthcare and the menopause. I'm glad I didn't take HRT when first offered, it wasn't appropriate for me at that time. It's clear to me that we have a long way to go in getting the best treatment for hormone imbalances and a better understanding of individual need and subsequent treatment.

I still feel complementary medicine and the practitioners within it are ahead of the game in some respects, treating the individual. Those that combine that with good use of HRT or mainstream medical professionals that look closely at the individual seem to be the two situations I have found that are helping.

Being too simplistic about menopause seems to be a big issue for those that struggle with it. Giving out HRT or Anti depressants without due care seems a bit concerning to me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:52:22 PM by BrightLight »

peegeetip

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »

Hi Brightlight

"Being too simplistic about menopause seems to be a big issue for those that struggle with it."

I have no idea what you are pointing out with that? Can you explain...

:-*

BrightLight

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »

Peegeetip GP's saying its natural, not listening to symptoms, not explaining things, not taking into account other things going on that might not be directly related to menopause. Taking a 'blanket' approach to treatment without much follow up or communication. Generally the things people have expressed are lacking in the responses they have had from GP's where they felt unhappy with the 'service'

BrightLight

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »

::)  …….

Education, education, education ……… communication, communication etc. etc. etc..

It's not only menopause sadly, I've heard a couple of horror stories in the last couple of months that would make you stay in bed for ever  >:(

Those two things are so key. Education and communication and I too have recent experience of friends that have received inadequate diagnosis and care resulting in major ill health.

Sounds like you have created good relationships with your GP's, it takes time I guess and the right one. I've had that before just not my current GP

peegeetip

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »

thanks Brightlight  :-* that sounds like we'd all be better off for that.

I think your two post's summarize things really well

:-*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:18:48 PM by peegeetip »

dazned

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »

Just found out that my surgery is looking for volunteers to form a patient's type forum with meetings to be held 4 times a year with practice manager ! Hmmm I can see I might just be  tempted, when I go over tomorrow to get my prescriptions think I will ask more about it      ;)     :whist:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »

dazned - that sounds like a very positive thing to be part of. At least your GP surgery is trying to get things right. 
I think this post has raised some good points.  GPs are human and of course there are extremes of good and bad and doctors can have their off days.   I think my current GP practise is quite good on the whole - they actually saved my neighbour's life 3 weeks ago. She went in with a pain in her back and the pain had penetrated through to her stomach.  The GP she saw immediately recognised it was serious and phoned the local casualty department to have her scanned a.s.a.p. - my neighbour is a very fit, slim, 57 year old with no health issues and it turned out she had a dissected aortic aneurism. She had a seven hour operation and is now back home recovering.
I am seeing one of the lady doctors about my HRT after seeing a gynae privately(which this GP thought was a good idea) and she is following the instructions from this gynae. One of the practise nurses I saw once made some rather personal and inappropriate comments that I didn't like - won't be seeing her again - but I do feel I am fortunate now as, in the past, I've had some rather negative experiences with GPs.
My view is that they can't be expected to know everything and sadly cost is an issue and ADs are cheaper than HRT.
RE the safety of ADs - I was prescribed them once and my local chemist who knew me quite well actually printed out the information about these ADs and strongly recommended I read the info first before taking them.
I know many people are fine on ADs but the side effects can be horrific - one certainly shouldn't drive a car until you are sure you are not feeling sedated! At the time I had small children and often driving other peoples kids to and from school.  The GP didn't mention that I might not be safe to drive when on this drug!!!!
DG x
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:52:59 PM by Dancinggirl »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8