Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: white patches on tanned legs!  (Read 6749 times)

Rebelyell

white patches on tanned legs!
« on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »

For some time now I have noticed small white patches on the front of my calves when I tan - they are presumably areas so sun damaged that the melanin has gone - there are quite a lot of them but I assured they are 'barely noticeable'.  I'm not panicking, just wondering whether I can do anything about them, and slightly concerned lest they all join up and become one!   I wish I could move the brown age patches down from my face...  Obviously even fake tan doesn't work!

Any ideas?

Galadriel

Re: white patches on tanned legs!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I think it's Vitiligo. My wee sister has some of these areas on her hand.

Here's a link for more info  :)

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitiligo/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Galadriel x

Rebelyell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »

I don't think it is vitiligo, I think it is just an age related thing.   The answer is probably to stop sunbathing and give up any idea of a tan!

Rebelyell

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »

It is something called IGH I think - hypopigmentation.

I shouldn't have started googling...  my health anxiety has been beautifully under control for weeks...

Rebelyell

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »

Found this online:  What is idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis?

Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis is the name given to 2 to 5-mm flat white spots found on the shins and forearms. ‘Idiopathic' means the cause is unknown, ‘guttate' means resembling tear-drops, and ‘hypomelanosis' refers to the lighter colour of the affected areas.

Who does it affect?

Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis predominantly affects fair-skinned individuals, but it may occasionally arise in darker skin. Although most often found on the shins and sun-exposed parts of the forearms, guttate hypomelanosis may also arise on other sun exposed areas including the face, neck and shoulders. The white marks are usually smooth with a reduction in the normal skin markings, but they may be slightly scaly.

They appear as part of the aging process, becoming quite common in those over 40 years of age. They are more common in women than in men. Inherited factors may be relevant as the lesions appear to be more common in family members.

It is completely harmless, but won't tan.  So - cold weather holdays from now on!

Rebelyell

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »

I am much better Sparkle.  No idea why, just suddenly a cloud lifted and I have been able to enjoy a holiday.  This spots on legs thing nearly got a grip, but I managed to use logic and shrug it off.

For me I think the ADs made my anxiety worse and the side effects have only just lifted.

Hope you soon feel the same. 

ellie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »

Sorry to have to say ladies, but seeing as I appear to be Queen (oldie) Bee.......they are age related  ::).....But I have never had any on my face  :)

Rebelyell

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »

Thank the lord Ellie!  Although I could do with some white spots on my brown age spots on my face!  Am considering laser treatment as have two biggish brown patches on cheekbones. 

How vain I am...

ellie

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »

The brown patches get worse too......OH! the  joys of getting (got in my case ) old  :hapij: :rofl:

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

My mother at now the grand old age of 93 has so many age spots they have all joined together.

They give her a nice tanned look so that's something to look forward too.  ::)

My face is ok at the moment, but I've got age spots on the back of my hands. I hate them and I have a good few on my arms too. Nothing much you can do to hide them either.

Honeybun
X

ellie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »

Some of the hand creams that are said to remove/hide age spots really do help...I have tried some  :)