Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and Confused by it All :)  (Read 4105 times)

wanttobehappyagain

New and Confused by it All :)
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »

Hi

I am 51 and I have just had the heaviest period of all time this weekend :'(

For the majority of my life, I have been really lucky and had quite light and painless periods, but about 4-5 years ago, I was having really heavy periods, and so was given a prescription which reduced the bleeding.  I took these for about a year and then the bleeding calmed so I stopped taking them.

However about 6 months ago, I had a very heavy period, and then again this weekend.

Also, about 3 years ago I was suffering from anxiety and not sleeping very well (I was going through a very stressful time at that time), and was prescribed AD's which I am still taking although at a reduced dosage.

After reading about heavy periods last night, I found this site and others, and wonder now if the two are linked and that I am peri-menopausal?

I am also suffering from "brain fog" but I put this down to the AD's.  My other symptoms are swollen fingers, neck pain, headaches, extreme tiredness, dizziness and hairloss, all which leads to me then suffering from health anxieties and worrying that I will die and leave my children motherless!  I even find myself calculating how long more that I need to survive so that my youngest is old enough to be okay without a mother.  Mad I know.

Just wondering whether you lovely people on here think I am peri-menopausal or just a bit mad  :D

Thank you for reading.

Claireylou

Re: New and Confused by it All :)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »

Hi there :welcomemm:

Your post rang so many bells with me. Although younger than you at 43, I have pretty much experienced everything you mention. Especially the health anxiety and worrying about my sons being without me etc.

I'm no expert but would say that you are the right age to be going through peri. Periods can get heavier, lighter, disappear, come back.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to explain things better. I just wanted to say hello  :)

wanttobehappyagain

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

Hi there

Thanks so much for the welcome, and kind words.

It is such a worry about our children isn't it.  But I sometimes think that the worry is doing more damage than anything, and stopping me enjoying life.

You are young to be going through the menopause? Or is it me that is old  :D

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »

I thought I was young until I joined this forum. I have learnt so much from reading posts and asking questions. My mum, aunt and grandmother had gone through by 46 so it looks like I'm heading same way.

My health anxiety is all consuming. Every ache and pain is some undiscovered disease. I've lost the ability to think rationally. With the help of ladies on here, I've learnt some relaxation techniques. I've also found out that eating little and often stops my adrenaline surges and really does take the edge off my anxiety. Have a little browse of the menus at the top of the screen. There is lots of really good info to read. And keep posting, the ladies on here are so knowledgable xx

wanttobehappyagain

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »

It's awful isn't it.  I will read some of the articles thank you.  From what I have read so far, I am hopefully going to join a gym and also cut down on my sugar intake, and try to drink more (water not wine  :D)

Thanks again - lovely of you to help me.

Claireylou

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »

You're most welcome  :) xx

wanttobehappyagain

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »

:)

Well been to the doctors today, and they have given me Transexamic Acid for the heavy bleeding.

They have also booked me in for blood tests to check for menopause and also to check my thyroid.

Is this all the usual process?

Thank you for reading.

Claireylou

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »

It's great that your gp is being thorough but, be warned, blood tests are notoriously unreliable for hormones because at this stage in our lives they can vary from hour to hour!  Some gp's even go on symptoms alone. I had my hormones tested just last week. They came back normal, but I know I'm definitely in peri due to family history and my myriad of symptoms. I'm off to see another doc this afternoon to push for maybe a low dose hrt or some esterogen cream to help with my burning and general discomfort down below.

Let us know how you get on xx

wanttobehappyagain

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »

Ahh I thought I had read something about that, but at least it will rule out thyroid or otherwise.

I knew it seemed to be going too smoothly :)  I am not very good at battling with doctors if it is required :(

Looking back now, I do wonder if I have been peri for number of years!

Good luck with the doctors this afternoon - be strong with them :)

dazned

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »

Blood test are reliably unreliable !  ;)

Depending on time in cycle etc so if you feel your symptoms are hormonal don't be fobbed off if gp says bloods are OK regards hormones!
Keep a diary of moods,symptoms,etc so you can see if a pattern emerges as proof for doctor to see.Many of them are woefully ignorant in women's hormones!

wanttobehappyagain

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »

Oh gosh, sounds like I will have a battle on my hands :(

Keeping a diary sounds like an excellent idea, as I won't actually be seeing the doctor for about 3 weeks - thanks very much for that.