Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: burning urethra and Gynest  (Read 6494 times)

Zoe Zebra

burning urethra and Gynest
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »

I have had a two week lapse of Gynest, used it last night, and now my urethra feels "burning",  don't feel ill, or have an infection, and it's not when I pass water, but after and while the bladder is at rest - I do get this anyway, on and off, am always conscious of some sort of bladder issue - is that menopause related?  Could the Gynest have made it worse?  If bladder issues are part of vaginal atrophy, then wouldn't Gynest help, or is it because I am restarting it, and building up the cell wall again, which in turn is causing the bladder issues?  The bladder/urethra issues have become worse since the menopause..  Any advice please?  :(

Dancinggirl

Re: burning urethra and Gynest
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:50:01 PM »

I've suffered with this burning a lot >:(.  When I came off full HRT this burning got really bad. I found that Gynest and Ovestin really aggravated it so I ended up using the Estring which was better. I am now using full systemic HRT again together with Vagifem twice a week and feeling much more comfortable.  I kept getting this burning and feeling as though I had a UTI so I had investigations and my bladder was fine but they said I probably had interstitial cystitis - which is not much help as there is often little they can do to help this.  You do need to keep away from any scented products, have showers and not baths etc.  Perhaps change to Vagifem and use at least twice and week and possibly try full HRT to keep these symptoms under control. I also find that the Multi Gyn Actigel (there are other products that help with maintaining vaginal health) used every night after a shower help to keep the flora balance right so reduces the chance of BV and thrush which will also aggravate things.
You are not alone with this - it's more common than we think.  DG x

Zoe Zebra

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »

Thanks DG, good to know others have it - sometimes I think I'm going mad! :sigh:  I have just finished (before restarting the Gynest) a 7 course of Bio Activ, I try to shower too and no bathe.  I don't really want to go on full HRT, but will consider maybe..  :-\ Is Vagifem much different from Gynest then?  What's Estring?

Morwenna

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »

Burning urethra is a classic symptom of vaginal atrophy unfortunately. When I was prescribed Gynest cream it took a while to realise it was aggravating the burning (eight months in fact, ouch!) I have been much more comfortable since switching to Vagifem so maybe you need to think about changing from Gynest. I'm on full HRT also. We have a thread all about these issues if you have time to read it..

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »

Vagifem in a small pill like pessary you insert , so no messy cream.  Estring is a latex ring that you insert into the vagina yourself and it stays in place for 3 months before needing to be changed - it releases oestrogen gradually over this time.  DG x