Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45

Author Topic: Haemoragghic disease warnings  (Read 125214 times)

kerrieann

Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »

honeybun ,yours is a pedigree though,we paid 700 for our staffy as he is full pedigree, i just object to paying so much for a cross breed, i keep looking on the rescue site but cant seem to find anything, the dog before this one was a rescue and he was the most loyal,  loving dog you could wish for  kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

I looked for a rescue dog too but could only get staffies or collies neither of which I thought was suitable for us...hence the Bichon

I hope you manage to find something. Sometimes our vet has adverts in her surgery or knows of litters that have just been born.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »

i didnt think about asking at vets, its worth asking though as not everyone wants a cross i suppose  kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

Give them a call, and let us know if you find one.

I just love puppies  ::)

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:53 PM »

yes will do  :) i love puppies and dogs in general, actually prefer them to some people, does that sound bad  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »

Nope  ;D not from where I'm sitting.

1st cross are usually a good choice but there is a high price to pay.  Long gone are the days when mongrels ran around the streets with the kids and puppies were in pet shop windows  ::)

Sadly many of the rescue centres charge £100+ and are very strict on their criteria for re-homing which is why cats/dogs languish in kennel situations instead of being in a loving home  :'(  :bang: :bang: :bang:

It is because people will pay for a KC Pedigree (which means very little) that breeders can charge almost what they want.  One excuse is that if people pay lots of money for a puppy it won't get dumped, well, actually ………..  :'(

The Cinnamon Trust like volunteers, that might be a way to go  ;)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »

Sadly many of the rescue centres charge £100+ and are very strict on their criteria for re-homing which is why cats/dogs languish in kennel situations instead of being in a loving home  :'(  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Most of them charge that to cover their costs - we get our dogs from our local branch of the RGT (Retired Greyhound Trust) but before them come home they have a full dental, vaccinations and will either be spayed or castrated so when you price all that up you get a good deal.  Ours also came with their own collars and leads, muzzles and a walking-out coat (probably another £70/80).  I also do home-checking for them and on the whole I think they are a little more approachable if you work etc - unlike a well-known homing centre a neighbour of ours approached, because she went out one morning a week to volunteer at her daughters school she was turned down!

kerrieann

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

i dont mind paying 100 or so, but i feel much more for a cross is taking the p,  like clkd said some people will pay 600 or so, but it doesnt always mean they will love and care for them for the rest of their days  :(

oldsheep

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »

I'll have to speak to the owner as he regularly walks his fox terrier in the local park. I assume he might be more territorial at home though?
I know he's fine with a labrador but that's too big for us. I like the norfolk size as I tend not to like very small or very big dogs.
My friend has a miniature pinscher and all he does is yap and is a complete tyrant....

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »

;D  Miniature Pinzer or Manchester Terrier - same genealogy what ever and they are ratters: and if allowed do, they will bark.

Getting to know the fox terrier might be the way to go …….. no dog should be territorial around property, after all, the dog does not own the property, doesn't pay the rent/rates/water bills  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »

How's the pups Mrs J?

Annie0710

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2015, 09:42:49 PM »

We've got a chocolate lab (I'm allergic to him !) and a friend of my step daughters bought a shih tzu puppy 3 years ago but within a month or 2 she couldn't cope do we paid her £350 for him, we got him housetrained within a week and he is such a naughty dog, no one understands why we love him so much, we have to tell him off so much  but I can guarantee he'll make us laugh as well every day.  His facial expressions give us belly laughs, one of our cats loves him to bits the other can't stand him

But we took him on and he's our family

Annie xx

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

Shitezu are cute ……… were bred I think to sleep in muffs to keep hands warm and to be guarding …… or was that Lhasas? same genealogy though. My cocker used to grin and frown, she was also great at the Very Big Sigh  ;D

I met a BichonxCavalier last week.  5 months old and looked nothing like it's parents  ::) and was beginning to food and toy guard.  Such a small pup to be growling, I talked long with the owners giving hints: i.e. keep toys only to play with and not allow him to have them at other times; to feed dry food by hand and to use something he really likes food wise when doing 'swapsies' for his toys; to sit in his bed and invite him in …....  I had other ideas later on  ::) like keeping him on a lead when playing so that he can be reeled in and the toy taken off him.  At 5 months he's too sharp to be growling  >:( - he needs to be taught manners but I think the owners were a little soft - he is black and curly and a bundle of 'I'm having my own way' - 'butter wouldn't melt'  ;D

I loves a challenge I does  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »

I have a friend with that breed CLKD, it's called a Cavichon.

Bichons are feisty as pups so the little dog you met is very normal. They do grow out of it though. Ours did and so did my friends. Basically they are very loving little dogs so really not much of a challenge at all.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »

Is it black?  Certainly it was sweet but growing shouldn't be allowed - I knew a Yorkie who ruled the house hold  ::) until I stepped in  ;) ………. big heart in a small body it was but soon taught that the owner owned the bed not the dog and learnt to get up on furniture only when invited  ;) …….. it didn't need to bite, started off by barring it's teeth with lips drawn back and a deep growl for such a small dog  ;D …….. I gave it a glove to grip then picked it off the bed, several times  :whist: it looked a little confused initially!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45