News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ADHD  (Read 11307 times)

Briony

Re: ADHD
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 08:14:27 PM »

For a positive perspective on ASDs, I'd recommend The Rosie Project. It's a bit like The Curious Incident of the Dog but more readable x

honorsmum

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 08:35:34 PM »

Thank you all so much once again for your extremely helpful and supportive posts.

I realise I haven't answered some questions put to me in them, so here goes -

Honor does gymanstics and Stagecoach (3 hours of drama, singing and dance)  as well as dance club at school each week. She loves drama and is good at it - she has already passed LAMDA exams in poetry and prose and acting.  :)  Somehow, she can memorise whole plays...but can't remember to brush her teeth. :)
We have cats,dogs and chickens at home and she loves animals, but can be very persistant with the cats when hyper...She has the scars to prove it!

I have had a friend over today who works as an early years advisor and she suggested a visual timetable as a way of getting Honor to do what she needs to do to get ready for school in the mornings. Also, a starry sky reward chart for every member of the family, in order to lift the mood here - so, a piece of black paper for each of us, to which stars are added for anything positive, eg Honor came in from school smiling, instead of complaining - star! Daddy was patient when we didn't do what he asked first time - star! When we've reached a pre-agreed number of stars in total, we choose a family treat, eg dinner out, trip to the cinema etc. Anyone can add stars for someone else, no stars can be removed.

I am going to contact the new school's SENCO to arrange a meeting, and try to find support groups locally. I've also got some specific parenting books out of the library.

I feel better just by trying to find new coping strategies.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:23:37 PM by honorsmum »

honorsmum

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »

A question of my own - is ADHD considered to be an ASD?  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »

I think it's within the Autistic Spectrum ………

Glad that by putting this out onto the Forum it has cleared your mind a little - given you some possible coping strategies ……. out of the brain, makes a gap for relaxation !

Could she be doing much as well as School work? at this age [17?] we can soon suffer crashing fatigue ……..

honorsmum

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »

She's 11, CLKD, so only gets one piece of homework a week (at weekends), spellings and readings. To be honest, she needs physical activity outside of school...otherwise, she'd happily stare at a screen all evening!

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »

AAAHhhh ………. I remember being really restless at that age without realising why ………

BrightLight

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

Hi Honorsmum

Good to hear you are feeling better about things - I like the starry sky idea.

As far as I know ADHD isn't considered on the Autistic Spectrum as such but neuro-developmental conditions often overlap and can exist together.  Other things like OCD, Anxiety, Depression, Tourettes overlap within this group of conditions as well.

Like a lot of things, I think the diagnosis or testing has varying approaches from different people in different areas, the same goes for treatment.  Some favour medication, some biofeedback and strategies and some all three.  I think it's a fascinating area and have every respect for the care and attention parents, teachers and professionals give to understanding the needs of children with ADHD or on the ASD spectrum for that matter.

She can learn all her lines but not remember to brush her teeth :) That's a great example to share of the diversity of skill and behaviour.

Winterose

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »

I know nothing about ADHD but you sound like a wonderful caring mother and your daughter is very lucky to have you,  :D

honorsmum

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »

Hi Honorsmum

Good to hear you are feeling better about things - I like the starry sky idea.

As far as I know ADHD isn't considered on the Autistic Spectrum as such but neuro-developmental conditions often overlap and can exist together.  Other things like OCD, Anxiety, Depression, Tourettes overlap within this group of conditions as well.

Like a lot of things, I think the diagnosis or testing has varying approaches from different people in different areas, the same goes for treatment.  Some favour medication, some biofeedback and strategies and some all three.  I think it's a fascinating area and have every respect for the care and attention parents, teachers and professionals give to understanding the needs of children with ADHD or on the ASD spectrum for that matter.

She can learn all her lines but not remember to brush her teeth :) That's a great example to share of the diversity of skill and behaviour.

Thank you. We wonder if there are elements of Tourette' s in her - she will often spontaneously shout a word repeatedly - currently "poo" - but only when unmedicated.
We were never offered any alternatives to medication to help her - never been advised on diet, parenting strategies, etc. I did have a conversation with a cranial osteopath many years before she was diagnosed, and he mentioned treating "butterfly" children. Perhaps I'll look into it now.

honorsmum

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »

I know nothing about ADHD but you sound like a wonderful caring mother and your daughter is very lucky to have you,  :D

Gosh, thank you, Winterose. :-*

dahliagirl

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »

Hi - I have a son who probably has ASD problems.  It was never sorted at school, because he was always clever enough to get above average for his work, and well behaved, so no need for the school to act.  How I wish I had understood what I know now, and beaten down the door for help!  Since he is adult now, there is no prospect of help or diagnosis unless he chooses to do that (and then nothing at the end of it anyway).

Anyway, I am left picking up the pieces and trying to get him into normal life, since he failed his degree, having been stuck to the computer for 3 years  ::)

I was reading about sensory issues, and AS conditions.  Something that was suggested is that children with oral sensory issues might not like the taste/feeling of the toothbrush and/or the toothpaste, so find ways of avoiding tooth brushing.  Maybe it is worth discussing it with her.  I could not get my son to brush his teeth, by any method.  It was extremely frustrating and embarrassing, and I wish I had known this.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »

I HATE toothpaste  :-X ……….. it makes me gag ……….

honorsmum

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 10:57:56 AM »

The teeth brushing thing was just an example - she can't remember to put socks on, or hang her coat up, or brush her hair etc either.

dahliagirl

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »

Yep - my son conveniently forgets stuff he doesn't want to do  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

… sounds 'within normal limits' to me  ;)

As someone who is naturally un-tidy  ::) ……..

Now you have put your worries into the ether you will be able to work through the suggestions to see if anything is useful to you and Yours …….. do let us know! Experiences shared etc..
Pages: 1 2 [3]