Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What Happens To Normal Discharge After Menopause?  (Read 3776 times)

Machair

What Happens To Normal Discharge After Menopause?
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »

I am in the last throws of peri-menopause I am sure aged almost 55- no period since November. My question is for ladies in my situation, or those post not on HRT, what happens to vaginal secretions do they disappear altogether? I am still seeing some clear secretions that dry to a pale yellow every couple of weeks for a few days just like when I was having normal cycles, and have nothing in between. I wonder if this is normal and what you all have. There is no soreness dryness or irritation. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What Happens To Normal Discharge After Menopause?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

I hadn't really noticed any difference ………. until I got VA  >:( ……..

Machair

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »

If you don't mind me asking does VA cause discharge or just dryness and what sort of discharge is it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »

My Mum used to call a discharge every month as 'the whites'  :-[ and she would tell MY DAD  :o like he was interested: not.  I was remembering this in the early hours …… shortly into marriage we began using KY jelly regularly so what goes up has to come down  ::) - sometimes a normal clearish discharge would require a pad for 24 hours. 

After being sterilised it became less of a problem and as I aged and VA kicked in, I became drier and drier inside = treatment.  Then of course there's a slight normal discharge the next morning  ::) - oh the JOYS !

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »

If you don't mind me asking does VA cause discharge or just dryness and what sort of discharge is it?

VA causing discharge, if only........ 
For me VA was unremitting dryness  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »

The way I see it is as Limpy says - as oestrogen levels fall vaginal tissues become thinner and lose their secretions so you just get dry - and as CLKD says you get them again when you use vaginal oestrogen - partly due to the stuff itself and partly because you become more plumped up generally! I think with severe untreated VA you could also get some discharge but this would not be healthy discharge and could indicate damage to the tissues or infection.

Here you go - just found the back magazine articles section of the new website - a helpful one about just this topic:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Hurdity x

Machair

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »

Thank you so much for all your replies. Seems I am not as near the end as I thought as dryness isn't a problem yet.