Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Day 3 of a migraine attack!  (Read 7077 times)

2cats

Day 3 of a migraine attack!
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »

Feeling so poorly - my headaches were much reduced since taking HRT but have been building up again lately.  Started with this migraine on right side of head on Wednesday and still have it now - Friday evening!
Nothing I take is working. 
I would love to know if any of you have any suggestions for getting rid of this migraine.

Many thanks

Limpy

Re: Day 3 of a migraine attack!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »

I have found that filling a basin or sink with very cold water then dunking my face in the water gives some relief from migraines. Needs to be left long enough to cool the head down. It doesn't stop the pain totally but does give a bit of relief. I also find swimming in a cool/cold pool helps to shift them.

Hope it gets better soon :hug:

bramble

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »

I am a great believer in homeopathic remedies for migraine. My homeopathic doctor is a wizard!
Might be worth a try if you are bothered with them frequently.

Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »

What kind of HRT are you using.

Patches are supposed to be better. You probably know that anyway...

:hug:

Hope you feel better soon.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »

How awful.  I think you need to speak with your GP or a Pharmacist for advice.

SueRoe

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »

2cats I do sympathise. I used to have migraines at puberty and they came back a few years ago (I'm 53) with much pain, visual disturbance and vomiting. MUCH improved with HRT. Have you seen your GP about the triptan medicines for migraines? They work wonders for me (but can't be taken if you're on Citalopram antidepressant if I remember rightly). Also, maybe a daft question, but are you sure it's a migraine and not a sinus headache? A decongestant might help - though if it is a migraine it might make it worse because decongestants can increase your blood pressure (I think ! - a little knowledge is a wonderful thing isn't it...) My advice would be to have a word with a pharmacist or GP. I hope you feel better soon.

Mrs January

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »

Hey there

I totally understand the migraine pain....I have had then only since i was sterilised 17 years ago, never before had  migraine.........use to take Zomig on prescription but now gP want prescribe as I take Citralopam too ......The offered Sumatriptin but I felt too scared to take it.

However what I do now is take Co Codamol brought form chemist the cheapest and used for up to 3 days ...mine can last 6 but it gets me through the worst, I eat ever couple of hours, avoid all alcohol and caffeine and I also ensure good sleep.

Hope it helps you honey

Mrs January xx

2cats

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »

Morning,

Really appreciate every one of your thoughtful and kind replies.  Have woken this morning and the migraine has gone!!  Unfortunately, since yesterday, I have also been taken over by ridiculous tiredness that hasn't been relieved by 9 hours sleep.  I feel drugged and I'm quite worried as I haven't had any medication since early evening yesterday (2 paracetamol and caffeine).

I have almotriptan which works 9 times out of 10 but just didn't do anything this time...along with the codeine etc etc that I took.  I think it's to do with the fact that my digestive system grinds to a halt and so pills are not absorbed.

The dr gave me suppositories of diclofenac yesterday morning which didn't do anything for hours either. 

Wondering now if I've got a virus as my face is burning and have this unnatural tiredness.

Not a happy bunny.

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »

Hi just caught up with this post
Glad your headache has gone this morning, I used to have headaches when I was on mini pill then they went away when I started HRT, but one day I woke up with the most excruciating headache I ever had, left side temple over eye, I felt it was pushing my eye out! I took pain killers for days and nothing touched it. Went to GP checked me over said I was ok, nothing sinister, 6 days later after taking everything I could get hold of I bought forehead stick and used it all day long and woke up the day and headache was gone! Don't know if it was coincidence or it worked but I swear by it. If I feel one coming on I get forehead out and keep applying.
I felt done in after like you, tired, and as if I had just had head injury, no pain but strange feeling down face.
There's is a lot going around though.

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »

Went to GP checked me over said I was ok, nothing sinister, 6 days later after taking everything I could get hold of I bought forehead stick and used it all day long and woke up the day and headache was gone! Don't know if it was coincidence or it worked but I swear by it. If I feel one coming on I get forehead out and keep applying.

Millykin

Totally agree about the Forehead stick. I use it if my head hurts before going to bed. Usually I can then get to sleep without having to use painkillers. Ok, I might need to take something at about 3 O'clock in the morning but sometimes I can get through the night without needing to take anything at all.

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »

Oh it's a little gem Limpy! One in my bag one one bedside table. X

lancashirelass

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

Migraines can.be caused by fluctuations.  Might be worth upping your dose.or.changing to patch or.gel. 

2cats

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »

millykin - I have a forehead stick so will need to dig it out again! Thanks  :)

lancashirelass - I have estrodot 50s patches and used to top up with a pump of gel if I felt I needed to.  When last pump ran out I didn't bother getting a new one as thought I'd see if I could do without it.  Over the time I've been without the gel, my headaches have been more frequent.  Mentioned this to doc yesterday and he would not prescribe anymore as he "didn't want to get a letter from the stroke clinic saying I could no longer walk or talk!"  Charming...
As I felt so ill I could not be bothered to question this so will go back to another dr another day. :)

2cats

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »

Glad to hear they have settled down Sparkle - long may it continue!

:)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »

I have learnt that the moment a headache threatens is to take medication otherwise ……

Better 2-day!