Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: A change when I stop Progesterone phase  (Read 2571 times)

warwick01

A change when I stop Progesterone phase
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »

Hi

I have noticed the last 3 months of my regime when I stop my 7 days of Progesterone (northisterons or utrogesterone) I get really perfuse night sweats where I need to get up and shower. I also find along with the sweats I have shivers, like flu really.

Anyone else feel like this??? I am wondering if my body at 56 is saying I should not be having periods.

W

Hurdity

Re: A change when I stop Progesterone phase
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »

Hi warwick

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these symptoms - however it is normal to feel some sort of pms after progesterone withdrawal - this is what happens for a few days just before and around the time of a period when you were fertile. Some of the synthetic progestogens (especially norethisterone) can have a more profound withdrawal effect than others.

It is nothing to do with your body not wanting to have a period though - it really is normal! Our bodies do change as we get older and maybe you are experiencing the withdrawal pms more as you get older? It would be amazing indeed to completely eliminate pms when we are still maintaining a cycle - even though it is artificial.

I took norethisterone of one cycle in the summer at the recomendation from my GP to "strip" the lining ( I normally use utroegstan as you do) and I felt really weird after withdrawal for some time - which I don't normally feel on the utrogestan.

Do the symptoms disappear once the progestogen has cleared from your system and you are back on the oestrogen only?

Hurdity x

warwick01

Re: A change when I stop Progesterone phase
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »

Hi Hurdity

My bleed has started today this is usual on day 5 of withdrawal, last night I did not have any night sweats. I am usually heavy tomorrow (always predictable) but the PMS has got worse.

Thanks for your advice!

W