Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hormone levels  (Read 8821 times)

BrightLight

Re: Hormone levels
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 11:10:13 PM »

Hi Annie - I'm reading your posts and hoping your doctor will help you figure this out, sounds like you have been struggling for ages :)

As others have said testosterone plays a part in symptoms too and personally I think progesterone does, although others disagree on that one ;)  It makes logical sense to me that as you reach the 'natural' age of declining hormones things have changed and a new understanding of what your body needs has to be found.

Here is a list I have referred to in the past when I was trying to 'understand' the effects of hormones on our bodies, I don't feel much clearer, as many symptoms are attributed to more than one!  Anyhow it comes from a website aimed at helping woman post hysterectomy get the hormone treatment to work for them.

Too much estrogen

Water retention
    Fatigue
    Breast swelling
    Fibrocystic breasts
    PMS-like symptoms
    Loss of sex drive
    Uterine fibroids
    Craving for sweets
    Weight gain

Too little estrogen:

Hot flashes
    Shortness of breath
    Night sweats
    Sleep disorders
    Vaginal shrinkage
    Painful intercourse
    Vaginal dryness
    Dry skin
    Anxiety
    Mood swings
    Headache
    Depression
    Memory Loss
    Heart palpitaions
    Yeast infections
    Inability to reach orgasm

Too much progesterone:

Depression
    Somnolence

Too little progesterone:

Headache
    Hot flashes
    Low libido
    Anxiety
    Night sweats
    Swollen breasts
    Painful breasts
    Sleep disorder
    Shortness of breath
    Moodiness
    Vaginal shrinkage
    Fuzzy thinking
    Painful intercourse
    Depression
    Vaginal dryness
    Food cravings
    Dry skin
    Irritability
    Insomnia
    Mood swings
    Memory loss
    Weight gain
    Heart palpitations
    Bloating
    Yeast infections
    Inability to concentrate
    Inability to reach orgasm
    Painful joints
    Asthma

Too much testosterone:

Oily skin
    Acne
    Facial hair
    Deepening voice
    Feelings of anger and aggression
    Male pattern baldness
    Clitoral enlargement

Too little testosterone:

Vaginal dryness
    Urinary incontinence
    Dry skin
    Brittle hair
    Decreased sexual desire
    Reduced energy and sense of well-being
    Insensitivity to clitoral stimulation
    Insensitivity to nipple stimulation
    Decreased arousability overall
    Lower capacity for orgasm
    Thinning of pubic hair (for some women)

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »

Thank you Brightlight

I have some pro-gest cream I bought but haven't really trialled it so might give that a go

3 years ago I was tested and told I was borderline b12 deficient (uk range 211-911) my result was 219, they don't test the b12 we are using, just the overall amount in the system which is ridiculous

In Japan for instance, anyone whose results are below 500 is immediately given treatment, you can't overdose on b12, your body expels what is not needed, yet deficiency causes terrible sympyoms, many of which are irreparable

The only menopause symptom I have that is not the same as b12 symptom is VA, all my other symptoms can be linked to both, bar my onset of double vision and burning mouth syndrome (have another episode of that right now)

I joined a forum to seek help, and was astounded at the number of people in the same situation as me, and told I'm not outside the guidelines to receive help, there's a chap up north (dr chandy) who has turned people lives around for the better by administering b12 injections to patients that although within the range, have sympyoms and as a consequence he was near to being struck off

Seems I am suffering from the 2 most ignorant subjects within the medical profession and 3 years on no closer to receiving any help

That forum has directed me on self medication and I have ordered b12 ampoules and correct syringes to self administer from a reputable company in Germany , waiting now for my delivery

It just sickens me that I have to self medicate to work out what I am deficient in

But you can't find testosterone to buy

2015 we shouldn't be suffering like this

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »

Lack of B12 and Vitamin D can cause so many symptoms including low mood, fatigue and generally feeling unwell.  AS both these vitamins are safe to take it makes sense to use supplements.  I am also a great believer in Omega 3 as this is also a vital element that most of us can be deficient in and it supports the body in many ways. The mantra as often that we should get enough of these things in our diet but the reality is most of us don't grow our own fruit and vegetables and the ones we buy may have already lost much of their goodness; the way we cook/prepare our food has an impact on the nutrients and many of us simply don't have the time to spend monitoring everything we eat - we're human!!!
DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »

I bought a b12 boost yesterday on recommendation to spray under the tongue (large dose) until my injections arrive , plus I've ordered high strength B vitamins and D
I want to see if these things help before I start meddling with the hormones, if there's no improvement then back to docs (to be fobbed off again !)

BrightLight

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »

It's really interesting about the vitamin D and B12 - I am taking a rather haphazard approach to my ups and downs and not sure what is 'working' or not but I did increase my B vitamins and D earlier this year and lots of niggly symptoms have improved, cold then hot feet, bad fatigue, anxiety, my hair.   There is a popular area of research right now into the MTHFR gene which basically a lot of people have, it means that some vitamins and other processes do not metabolise well in the body - for example certain forms of B12 are more readily absorbed including the sublingual sprays.

I don't know a great deal, but my nephew has tested positive for the gene and my sister as well, it was enough to make me buy the vitamins that are more easily absorbed, so maybe there really can be big changes when our nutrition is good. The MTHFR gene is linked to hormonal imblance, mental health issues and various other things - it's all fascinating to me - but really confusing too ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »

Yes I agree it is sooo confusing, it's wrong that we have to research ourselves too

I've heard about that gene, many b12 deficient suffers have pernicious anaemia, I'm not suggesting at all I have that nor have I explored it but the symptoms of these deficiencies have disastrous consequences, yet the testing methods and help available leave a lot to be desired

Annie

BrightLight

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »

I agree, it is very wrong.  My sister and nephew live in Australia and they are much more open to considering the impact of these type of things and testing is widely available.  When I looked to do it myself here, the cost was huge and the nearest integrated medicine doctor was in London - so I just changed the type of B vitamins and folate and hoped for the best.

Hope that the increased B12 goes someway  to helping you feel better

Annie0710

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »

Aw thank you, I really hope so too, I don't 'everything' can be down to meno
I had tons of stress (and it was all out of my control) in my life for months when this landed
There HAS to be a connection

Annie

BrightLight

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 05:07:16 PM »

I can relate on the stress front as well :)  When I am feeling positive, like today, I see this all as a great opportunity to be kinder to myself, enjoy more and actually say no to stress if I can possibly help it x

Annie0710

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »

Most of the time I don't have stress, well I do but it doesn't stress me, the phase before b12 and peri was awful, one of my children was going through absolute hell (not their fault either) and because of the nature of it I was involved, so trying to deal with all that plus keep him sane drained me, then it was over , so for 5 weeks I rebuilt my life and my dad died of a cardiac arrest, I went to pieces and it brought back the pain of lifting my mum so suddenly too

I'm ok about all that now, but 3 months after losing my dad all this started so suddenly

If it isn't one thing, it's another !

Annie

BrightLight

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »

That is a lot to come along at once - I really do see a connection because similar happened to me. Before I began with odd symptoms I had had a life stressor that came and went but reminded me of previous loss - my sister had a baby with Down Syndrome after 5 miscarriages and had terrible PND and came back from Australia with the baby to live with me for 2 months.  We lost our father in childhood and mother 4 years before this all happened, I found it really hard. 

I was just getting myself back fully into my own direction and bam, I felt awful, so I am still focussing on my body's response to all the stress.  I am wondering whether our bodies adapt to stress, so we think we have recovered, but really they have adapted and eventually can't do it anymore.  It's sort of how it all feels to me.

Nice talking with you about this and I really do hope the B12 improves things for you and the HRT quandry sorts out somehow

Annie0710

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »

Thank you, I hope everything works out for you too

Annie
Pages: 1 [2]