Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 47405 times)

Dulciana

Re: Calling all musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »

Just looking out at the lovely clear blue skies we've got here , today (at least at the moment!).  My Dad used to be a music examiner, which meant he had to examine for all instruments, including singers.  One of the tests for grade-whatever was to sing a scale to the words, "It's a lovely day today" on each note.  This was apparently a test for diction, apart from anything else, but it often came out as "It's a lovely day toda-yit's a lovely day toda-yit's a......etc."   I wonder if singers still have to do that............(Ju Ju?)    ;)

honorsmum

Re: Musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »

I love all sorts of music. ............ to listen to, Sibelius, Dvorak, Brahms, Mahler, Tchaikovsky

Just wondering, honorsmum - do you like all Mahler, or anything in particular?  I love the 8th symphony and the last movement of the 2nd symphony.   Then, there's always Strauss: Heldenleben, Don Juan, 4 Last Songs........... :)

Mahler 4 is a favourite, and the movement ed in Death in Venice from the 2nd symphony. Also the 5th symphony.
Four Last Songs - heaven! Strauss operas too.
Verdi Requiem. Carmina Burana...I could go on and on!

Ju Ju

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »

I've not had to sing scales for an exam, but certainly do for lessons. My teacher's favourite is "gin and tonic, gin and tonic" and on till the end with " with a slice of lime!"

They do comment on diction when singing, which is something I've had no problem with, tho' DH has recently said I mumble! I think his hearing is not as good as it was somehow!

Dulciana

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

I've not had to sing scales for an exam, but certainly do for lessons. My teacher's favourite is "gin and tonic, gin and tonic" and on till the end with " with a slice of lime!"
That's lovely!  ;D

honorsmum - was wondering if you had seen this performance of the Berlioz Te Deum, with Abbado and massed Italian choirs and orchestras.  I think it's superb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gwq5UgISk

Dulciana

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »

Honestly, this meno thing is so weird.  I was going on earlier about how I found playing to be one of the best ways of combating the symptoms.   It is, without a doubt!  However, I had completely the opposite experience this evening, when I watched "Symphony" on BBC4.   Liszt, Beethoven and Brahms got me more and more uptight, not helped by people's bows going backwards and forwards in the featured orchestra.  As soon as the last note of Brahms 4 was played, I switched the TV off and I now have that anxiety-ear-ssshhh that I know and love too well.     ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:14:10 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »

We had to sing in music exams too ……….. sight reading was never my forte  ::) I got to Grade 5 piano though and to 3 in theory.  Then I fell in  :-*   love  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »

We had to sing in music exams too ……….. sight reading was never my forte  ::)

You me both CLKD.
We had to sight sing in music O level - hated it, wanted to use my horn, wasn't allowed.  ???
Luckily, passed said O level - phew.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »

I was supposed to go the Royal College but fell in love instead  ;D and I was never that good so it would have been a struggle.

I remember sitting in the cold at the village cenotaph trying to play the clarinet sensibly, shivering ……. DH was playing an e-Flat bass and my boyfriend at the time a silver tuba …… couldn't play with gloves on and it's my feet and hand that suffer ……..

Dulciana

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »

You have to be dedicated, don't you!   ::)   Sometimes when I go into the church to practise the organ in the middle of winter, it's perishing!  Hmmm... playing the clarinet out in the cold, CLKD - did your lips ever get frozen to the mouthpiece?

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »

Not quite  ;D but we had to walk from School with our instruments - 2 miles - then sit for ages it seemed until the Church Service was finished  ::) - I kept the mouthpiece in my pocket or cuddled in my glove until required !

Limpy

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

I remember sitting in the cold at the village cenotaph

Cenotaph memory.

I was playing in a brass band which was playing on remembrance sunday. For some reason, rather than huddling around a music stand, sharing a part, I decided to copy a part out for myself. Fine, except I'd used my very best fountain pen to write the part out. It started raining, the notes just ran down the page and disappeared in the rain..........

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »

……. aaahhh - those were the days when we had to write with Fountain pens  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »

Now we get to the really silly bit.
I was playing French Horn, which meant I had to transpose the band parts, written in Eb into F, the key that the horn was in. I still copied the part in Eb, even though it was just for me - Duuuuh
Can't blame it on the menopause I was 15!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:31:32 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 06:57:49 PM »

AAAHHH : HORMONES  ;D ……..

Ju Ju

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »

I'm beginning to understand what you are talking about Limpy! Eb, F......I've had to sight read for singing exams. I've been able to wing it up to now, but it was becoming obvious that I was struggling and it just gets harder with each grade. My singing teacher has sourced some music theory books aimed at children, so just the right level for me! It's amazing how little I knew before. I think playing an instrument and being able to read music helps with singing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11