Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Feel like giving up on HRT  (Read 4155 times)

EllaM

Feel like giving up on HRT
« on: February 04, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »

Hi everyone, I am new to the site but somehow managed to post my first message under 'Personal Experiences' so I won't repeat myself.  it is so reassuring to hear from other women who are going through the same hell.  at times over the last 3 years I have felt as if I am dying and am currently signed off work having had some reasonable times at the end of 2014.

After several attempts at different HRT's I am now on estradot 75 and utrogestan 200mg 15 days a month.  The estradot was increased 3 weeks ago by my consultant and I am to increase to 100 in a week's time to see if this levels off the peri menopause fluctuations.  Problem is that nothing seems to work and after almost a year on HRT i'm wondering whether to continue. Since increasing the dose from 50 to 75 my boobs have been so painful but the nausea has subsided.  Could I be taking too much?

Big hugs to everyone new to the site and praying we all find some improvement and a happy and healthy life xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feel like giving up on HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »

Difficult - like many medications it really is Trial and Error.  What were you hoping to achieve, as HRT doesn't 'cure' everything, rather it can make symptoms more manageable.

Also it does depend on where in peri-menopause you are …… because your hormones will still be active so can 'fight' against medication.  I would go with the Consultants suggestion if side-effects aren't too horrendous - the body doesn't get where it is suddenly so will take a while/months to level out. 

If I have medication that doesn't give me nausea then I try to stick with it  ;)

I'm sure that someone else will be along too!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »

Hi Ella

Sorry to hear about your problems.

As CLKD says it depends where you are in peri-menopause how much oestrogen you need. Personally I would wait until the painful boobs settle before increasing again to 100 mcg - but don't want to argue with the consultant! Do you feel the increased dose is helping and how old are you/where in menopause?

Also have you started the progesterone since increasing the dose?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »

I know we want to feel better 'at once' but it doesn't happen that way  ::)

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »

I've got sore boobs too - I'd forgotten what that was like!  Glad to read here that it might settle down...

EllaM

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »

Hi CLKD and Heredity and thank you so much for your replies. I am 50 in July and would say that I have been experiencing peril menopause symptoms for 3 years.

I do realise that it takes time for things to settle after an increase or change but after a year on various HRT I guess I am just so desperate for an improvement.  It's almost 4 weeks now since the increase to 75 estradot and I am just coming to the end of the utrogestan which tends to make me ridiculously tired and 'heady' despite taking it vaginally.

I haven't had any bad night sweats in the last 3 nights and do feel I am sleeping a little better.  I also think the increased citalopram may be helping with the mood.  Blobs are still very tender but will wait to see if they settle during my bleed.

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me xx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »

Hi EllaH

I had to laugh at your sore blobs (but sorry to hear they are still uncomfortable) !

If it helps I always feel tired on utrogestan and have always taken it vaginally - I took my last one last night, and after it has cleared from my system I'm looking forward to feeling normal again for another few weeks before the next cycle ( I am on long cycle).

Glad night sweats and decreasing and you are sleeping better - let's hope you continue to improve. I commented on your other thread too.

Hurdity x

EllaM

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply and glad I made you laugh! Using a tablet hence the random spellings. The 'blobs' are much better by the way  :)

Funnily enough since I stopped the utrogestan I actually feel worse. Anxiety has increased, tremors are back and I generally feel awful. What's going on?  Same happened last month (I keep a symptom diary) and that's when this latest flare up o's symptoms started and I was signed off work.

warwick01

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »

Hi EllaM

I tried Utrogesteran in December and liked it whist using it. However for the 6 days after stopping it I was so anxious, tense really bad night sweats. The worse PMT I have ever experienced.

W

EllaM

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

Yep, looking back at my diary, the post progesterone week has not been good for me. This HRT business is really complicated.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »

Progesterone does affect some ladies  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »

Hi EllaM

The time following cessation of the progesterone is something like what you would normally experience just before your period when you were mensturating naturally ie pmt symptoms. These should settle after a few days as the progesterone clears from your system and your body's physiology returns to how it was before.

Unfortunately if you are progesterone intolerant to some extent ( ie the utrogestan makes you feel ill) then this combined with the progesterone withdrawal phase means you only have a week of feeling good - this is the downside of HRT for women like yourself.

This is why I choose to have a longer cycle (with the backing of my GP) so that the oestrogen only time is longer compared to the progesterone phase. However as you are on a high-ish dose of oestrogen it may not be advisable in your case.

Yes - I agree it is tricky - HRT is a crude way of replacing our deficient hormones and ensuring we stay healthy too - but it's the best system we have!

Hurdity x