Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dr says feeling of dread n anxiety nothing to do with menopause ????  (Read 7749 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dr says feeling of dread n anxiety nothing to do with menopause ????
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »

I had over-whelming anxiety as a teen  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about this Amandajane.

It definitely sounds like you need to change your treatment - if the Mirena doesn't suit you then you need something else for your heavy periods - have you seen the information on the left here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

However you will need a progestogen if you take oestrogen in order to keep the lining thin, because of course the oestrogen will further stimulate the uterus lining to thicken, while dealing with your menopausal symptoms. Have you thought of having an ablation if the progestogens disagree with you?

I hope your appointment with the gynaecologist is successful and do keep us posted.

Hurdity x

BrightLight

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »

I am sorry that it sounds like you are not able to get help and understanding for your situation Amanda.  I am new here and quite surprised how many women experience anxiety and depression in association with menopause.

I have always had a tendancy to anxiety and my doctors put ALL my symptoms down to that until recently, but the anxiety is very different that is related to hormones.  I can see that now - hormonal anxiety doesn't respond so well to CBT or in other words mind over matter.  This is the main aspect I kept telling my GP ' this is not normal anxiety'.

I can't understand why they don't accept it.  All the hormones are effected in our body if one of them is out - estrogen supports the thyroid and adrenal function which both play a part in our chemicals to feel good and calm down.  Progesterone is a natural anti-depressant.  These hormones are drugs ;)

I don't know if it helps to have a rational explanation, but I hope you can find the help and understanding you need.

honorsmum

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »

When I described my symptoms to my gastro consultant, he simply said that they all pointed to an anxiety disorder. I questioned why that would come out of the blue, when immediately before, I was extremely happy and content with life - he answered that for some people, "it just does."  :o
So, I can develop an anxiety disorder for no reason, but couldn't possibly be perimenopausal at 45??
Pages: 1 [2]