Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Side effects of utrogestan  (Read 32049 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Side effects of utrogestan
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »

Hi all
As I mentioned before, I contacted the drug company about the incorrect instructions in the leaflet.  It also doesn't actually say to take the pills on an empty stomach, just to take it at bedtime - which I think is a bit ambiguous as many people do have a  bedtime snack.
This is what the drug company told me in regard to taking Urtogestan on an empty stomach:
"For your other query, Utrogestan should not be taken with food as it increases the absorption of the progesterone. It is advisable to take Utrogestan before bed as it can cause drowsiness and/or dizziness in a minority of patients."
To me this doesn't make much sense as surely we want it to absorb as much and as efficiently as possible!! Maybe the side effects are worse if taken with food?!
I took it about an hour before bed (about 2 -3 hours after supper)so any dizziness would have warn off before morning.  I did notice feeling rather drowsy and a bit dizzy by the time I got into bed but not too bad.   DG x

Hurdity

Re: Side effects of utrogestan
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »

Hi

Just to say the leaflet does say not to be taken with food:

"Method of Administration: Oral. Utrogestan 200mg Capsules should not be taken with food"

Then later:

"Utrogestan 200mg Capsules should not be taken with food and should be taken at bedtime. Concomitant food ingestion increases the bioavailability of Utrogestan 200mg Capsules."

Agreed - I have always thought this advice is strange - because there can be no harm from increased bio-availability - and with oral progesterone especially I would have though this was beneficial since the amount absorbed can vary quite a lot. You can't really overdose on it, but I reached the same conclusion as you Dancinggirl - re any side effects may be more pronounced, but still strange.

I'm glad I don't have this dilemma!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]