Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Acid Reflux  (Read 3962 times)

toffeecushion

Acid Reflux
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

I have suffered with this on and off for years, probably due to being overweight.  But recently it has got worse.  Last night I woke with it and it was the worse it had been.  Do any of you suffer with it, does it get worse with age or is it just a coincidence?

rosebud57

Re: Acid Reflux
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »

Yep, exactly the same as you.  I comes and goes and I can go months and be fine, and then it's back. 

Certainly I think It's partly stress related, and spicy food, coffee and alcohol can affect me. 

Husband keeps saying I should go to the Docs would prefer to self treat unless it becomes constant.

Usually just take Tums.  Their always in the draw by the bed, just in case.  Find stronger stuff like Gaveston makes it worse.

If it's any consolation my Dad has had the same problem all his life and his is now 96.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

Have you tried sleeping sitting up.It does help a lot.

I am finding my digestive enzymes very helpful with my acidic stomach. Too early to say for sure but there is an improvement.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »

Hi toffeecushion,

I know this is an old thread but after searching the web following another bout of heartburn last night, I found this and thought you might find it helpful.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2006/09/25/gord-blimey-%E2%80%93-advice-for-those-who-have-trouble-coming-up-from-below/

toffeecushion

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »

Hi toffeecushion,

I know this is an old thread but after searching the web following another bout of heartburn last night, I found this and thought you might find it helpful.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2006/09/25/gord-blimey-%E2%80%93-advice-for-those-who-have-trouble-coming-up-from-below/

thanks rosebud

wallflower

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »

...natural yoghurt....especially Greek....just a couple of spoonfuls does the trick for me...also whole milk..
Yes...it is awful....so painful and always comes on after going to bed...but try the yoghurt
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »

Do you mean 'live' yoghurt Wallflower?  'natural' and 'live' can mean different things in the yoghurt world  ;)

Sleeping upright
Eating/drinking then going straight to bed can cause reflux/heartburn
Eat main meal at lunch time and snack in the afternoon

scriv

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »

I avoid acidic things as much as is practical to keep it at bay, but Rennies help a lot when I do suffer.

Angelica

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »

I have the same problem. My husband put some large, flat, foam cushions from an IKEA easy chair under my pillows. This has raised the top half of my body, when I am lying down at night. This really helps. When we get more money we are planning on getting one of those hospital-type beds where you can raise the top half of the bed where your pillows go. (I also take low dose proton pump inhibitors when it gets bad.) I hope you will get better soon.  :)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

Ceres  :welcomemm:

Taz x

Angelica

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »

Thank you, Taz.  :)