Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Chest Infection  (Read 2276 times)

Mrs January

Chest Infection
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »

Hi there Ladies

Struggling in week two now of antibiotics and still coughing up awful stuff. I don't smoke or drink ....

Doctor says I may have to have X-rays and steroids....have any ladies taken steroids for something like this? I never had and would like to make an informed decision. Back to work on 19th Jan and a house move too so I need to be well....

Thanks

Mrs January xxx

Joyce

Re: Chest Infection
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »

I had to take steroids when I had pneumonia many years ago. Only for 1 or 2 weeks though. I wasn't happy about taking them, but was told short term use was fine in order to shift the infection. I'd been on several antibiotics, they didn't work, so needed intravenous ones plus the steroids to shift it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »

If your GP suggests steroid treatment then that's what is suggested.  Steroids ease symptoms, my dog had them when she had chemotherapy treatment, helps to maintain the immune system.  Trouble is with pets it makes them eat  ::) ……… steroids are given for polymyalgia rheumatica too, Mum got all puffy on them which eased when the dosage was reduced.

Don't give yourself added stress!

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Yes, I had to take copious amounts of steroids along with ABs at the beginning of the year (and at other times of my life) as I had a chest infection with asthma and had to spend a couple of days in hospital. I recovered with no ill effects, but the steroids were an essential part of that. Just follow the instructions carefully. Never stop steroid treatment suddenly. You will either take a short course or a longer course that is tapered off gradually. Don't worry!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »

I had to take steroids when I had pneumonia but only after the chest x-ray revealed it in both lungs. It really floored me though - literally couldn't walk unaided for two weeks and had to have three months off work and my lovely mum lived with us for a month to take of the children. Nasty, horrible thing. Never want that again. My husband also has to have short courses of steroid, prednisolone I think, to help when his COPD worsens. Hopefully the AB's will work soon Mrs J.

Taz x