Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First mammogram finds calcification, biopsy failed to get it  (Read 17300 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: First mammogram finds calcification, biopsy failed to get it
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »

I take your point Tiger - but if a patient feels they are being rushed into a procedure without the opportunity of clear explanation  and the chance to chew over what they have been told, they may not be in a psychologically good state - at all times my Surgeon told me that there was no reason to hurry, even when the histology showed changes.  It is known that people recover better if they are well informed before cold surgery, even to the point of healing quicker.

17th may well be the next time that this procedure can take place, but if there really isn't any rush then waiting until the New Year won't make a jot of difference other than Sarai should have had time to talk through worries and be better informed.  Currently she sounds as though the 17th is too soon …….. perhaps with proper information it will be correct for her.

I knew that had I been told the "C" word in the January I wouldn't have coped.  By the time my mental health was more stable in the June I wasn't as worried.  Certainly I felt during treatment that I was 'tackling' anything untoward, that we were 'getting on with it', but I never felt that waiting was putting my life in danger.  [does that make sense  ::) ]

Making a list gets our worries out of our heads and onto the paper - hopefully it will help you sleep! 

Sarai

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »

Tiger74 in theory I would love good news or no news for Christmas. My mum died at Christmas that's enough for me.
The timescale is just his it's worked out, they make you wait 4 weeks from first biopsy to let bruising go down that takes me to the 17th.

Sarai

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »

CLKD I am in the UK. I don't know what input GPs have with system,this breast screening programme seems to have a will of its own here.
I went to the appointment thinking I had scar tissue  from a needle biopsy in 1995 and never thought of DCIS.
I got a letter after my results saying as you know we did not find cancerous changes just normal tissue so we want to try again to get a definitive answer.
I was told at the clinic that 10 years ago these would not be seen on mamo but they are so good now they 'do this all day', loads of us were getting biopsys. An awful lot of tearful ladies in those rooms.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:26:47 PM by Sarai »

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »

I'm in the UK too.  Thanks for the up-date.  When I have my screening my GP gets a fax message from the Clinic. 

'No cancerous changes just normal tissue' - what more do they require to get a definitive answer, only removal of the area and histology will be definitive  ::)

How do you intend to proceed?

Sarai

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »

Basically they are saying that they must get the bit of calcium to test it or they will not be satisfied, obviously the area around it is fine. But the calcium just didn't get into the very big needle.

rosebud57

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »

I know where you're coming from Sarai.  I had a ultrasound to look for gallstones 3 years ago and they found a polyp which was 6mm, and therefore a potential nasty.  I then had to have follow up scans over 2 years, to make sure it didn't grow.  It was very stressful as every time I had a scan which showed no growth, that was wonderful. But the few weeks before I'd get very wound up. 

At least when they get hold of some of the calcification you will have a proper answer, so I would go for it and get it over.  Then you can deal with it and hopefully put it behind you.  I'd swap that for 2 years of
limbo any day.   

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »

Thank you girls - 1st hand experience is good to share.

Did you sleep Sarai?

leony

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »

Try not to worry Saria I had this a few months ago found on mammogram I couldn't feel any lumps they took a biopsy then a core biopsy as it was in an awkward place not very big in that dept didn't feel a thing put in a marker and said it was nothing. This wasn't my fist mammogram as i;m 59 but was told the machines are so good they spot it all now. You will be fine take someone with you when you go just for support.

LizeeeH

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »

Hello :)
Ive recently had my routine mammo, its horrid and waiting for the results can really play with your mind :-\ this is my fourth routine mammo and every time I say Im not going because Im so scared in case Im recalled and it did happen once but because the xray wasn't clear :o keep strong saria and don't be shy ask your GP or the breast clinic, they are there to help......I was extremely anxious about my results so I rang the breast clinic several times until they gave me my results over the phone!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »

What did you decide?

Sarai

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

So far when I have the vacuum done is up in the air as I was told the bruising needed to be gone so they can see. Well my appointment is on the 17th and I still have a bruise tennis ball size and black. Because I am on warfarin. So I doubt it will be gone by then.
I've just been reading about micro calcifications and it said if they were in clusters it may mean something but I am pretty sure I only have ONE.
But I am stuck in the system now and will worry more if I do nothing.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »

So your decision seems to be to go along for the appt.?  As you have bruising I would ring the Dept and tell them so that if they need to postpone the appt. they will be able to give it to someone else  ;) or they may suggest that you go along and they will decide on examination.

Let us know!

Sarai

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »

The more I read the worse I get. Too many tales of people one speck that turned out to be bad. Now I gave to know, that fact remains they found a speck and feel duty bound to deal with it. I have driven myself mad tonight again with reading stuff. I had been cool just lately about it but having tell a relative about it, who seemed to imagine it was just like getting an annoying splinter out instead of maybe cancer really brought it home to me all over again. Consequently I am looking on the black side again.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »

Stop reading then?  Give the Dept a ring?  Make a list of your concerns and share it with those who are dealing with similar situations daily  ;) …… otherwise it will be a long week!

Sarai

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »

Well I went for the second procedure, a mammotome. This needle is the width of a pencil, I had to lay the other way this time holding my other boob up. Oh and I mustn't move. Well I baked some much I think just breathing moved my boob. So first needle was in the wrong place. More local, then the second was in the wrong place. No samples even taken. Suddenly everything stopped. Sorry we can't do it. I was stunned. I bled for 30 minutes. I was anaemic before so will be be more so now.
So tomorrow I see a surgeon regarding them trying again under GA. I have to have a wire put in on the day, under mammogram so the surgeon knows where to go. And guess what they won't take a big bit while they are in, no if it needs removing I hVe to go through surgery again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3