Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Prolapse and exercise  (Read 1898 times)

Kimberly

Prolapse and exercise
« on: November 20, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »

Dear all,
I am looking for some advice please.  I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago and repair of rectal and bladder prolapse. I am 58 and have been on HRT for nearly 10 years (ELLESTE SOLO).  Up until acouple of weeks ago my exercise was walking about an hour a day and Pilates once weekly.  I have now started a more intense exercise class, 3 times weekly for 30 minutes each which I really enjoy and have already felt the benefit and sense of achievement. I do my pelvic floor exercises 3 times a day (see later).  The instructor is aware of my history and has adapted some exercises for me. There is still quite a lot of squats and running on the spot.  Will I make my condition worse as I know that prolapse can recur after a repair and I think it has partly recurred in my case.  Also if it recurs badly is there anything further that can be done or do I just have "to put up with it" and spend my life sitting down!  Thank you to anyone with advice.  I have found this forum so helpful.
RE pelvic floor exercises there is a great app called Squeezy which is an NHS app and reminds you 3 times a day to do your pelvic floor exercises. 

scriv

Re: Prolapse and exercise
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »

Hi Kimberley

I also have a history of prolapses and had to have a second repair and I also do Pilates and pelvic floor exercises and walking and feel the benefit from these exercises.

I have been banned from very heavy lifting for ever by my consultant after the second repairs, so I would not contemplate weight lifting etc, but otherwise I think we are just fine by the type of exercises we are doing to strengthen the muscles and pelvic floor.

Good luck.

suey43

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »

Hello I've just got a prolapse and am terrified! How was the repair surgery? Really really worried about it. Mine only bothers me when I go to the loo. P

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »

Which prolapse do you have suey?  I had a uterine and bladder prolapse and had a hysterectomy plus front wall repair in the summer. I put it off for three years but the op was not half as bad as I expected.

Taz x