Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: This is weird  (Read 4081 times)

Joyce

This is weird
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »

Anyone else get sudden pains in joints like ankles, knees, top of leg and you feel that your legs will buckle under you? Been getting it a lot recently, different joints each time, though mainly knees & ankles.  Surely not another meno thing.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: This is weird
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »

Well: kind of.  For years++ I have been walking and put my foot down, only to find that I : stagger : is the only way of describing it.  Like my foot doesn't go down where I intended it to go.  I've never fallen.  My thighs feel weak too when walking.

I also get sudden stabs of pain in various joints/muscles …….. enough to make me go 'ouch'. 

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »

My joints take it in turn to ache. My ankle, but only in bed. One knee swells up then goes down, then the other has its turn.

I really doubt it's meno....I think it's to do with ageing.

Not perhaps what we want to think but very possible.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »

Exercise is supposedly good for us but when we reach a 'certain' age, the after effects kick in  >:(

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »

Yep,if I walk too far and that too far includes hills then.

:crutch: :crutch:

Honeyb
x
 ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »

I hated cross country  ;) but loved swimming, dancing, drama …… and walking.  I do wonder how athletes get through menopause joint wise?

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »

Probably much the same as the rest of us, or maybe worse as they put so much stress on joints over the years.

Honeyb
x

meno lesley

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »

When all my meno symptoms kicked off I was hurting just about everywhere out of nowhere. This has certainly been helped by hrt - not gone but better than it was x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »

I stagger too CLKD & stone cold sober when it happens. Ageing & meno go together don't they?  ;D Seriously though, didn't think it was meno. But heck, what more can ageing fling at us? I visualise me buckling in front of a car or something one day. I'd never fall in front of a handsome beau.  ;D I wish!

rosebud57

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »

I find that if I'm in the car for anything more than about 20 mins, or I sit to long on the sofa, when I try and walk it's as if I suddenly have the legs of a 90 year old.  The muscles feel stiff and tender and it takes about 10 mins of moving around to feel normal again.  I try and walk for a least half an hour every day but it's not always possible.  Will have to dug out the exercise DVDs now the weather has turned.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »

When I get up it's my lower back that is stiff  ::)  ........ I did think I had something like MS years ago when my thighs were spongy whilst walking but symptoms aren't any worse: nuisance though 'cos it looks like I've had 1 over the 8  ::)

rosie c

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »

Same here rosebud57... stiff as a board if I sit too long ie 20 mins or more. takes at least ten strides before i can walk "properly", not a good look when your only 50 !

Briony

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »

I don't think aches and pains are just down to ageing - I do blame hormones too. I have gone from being a fit 40 year old who ran over 40 miles a week for years, to a 42 year old  who struggles even to do a basic gym routine without being in pain and hasn't exercised properly for months. Sometimes even walking is too much. At one point it was so bad I was in tears  and almost screaming; all I could do was lie down, palms facing upwards and keeping totally still!  - yet endless visits to consultants and a number of MRIs found nothing significant other than hormonal issues. I am sure it wasn't down to running, as one of the worst pains I got was in my shoulder (along with weird tingling and numbness in fingers for a while). I have since found out this can be caused by exceptional hormonal fluctuations (first symptoms occurred weeks after a miscarriage, sadly). Recently it has eased a lot, but I just wake up feeling like my ankles can't hold my weight on occasions. Still get the tingly, crawly  feeling in my back too. Apparently that's linked to v low estrogen? The joys of being a woman! x   :-\

kiltgirl

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »

I don't think aches and pains are just down to ageing - I do blame hormones too. I have gone from being a fit 40 year old who ran over 40 miles a week for years, to a 42 year old  who struggles even to do a basic gym routine without being in pain and hasn't exercised properly for months. Sometimes even walking is too much. At one point it was so bad I was in tears  and almost screaming; all I could do was lie down, palms facing upwards and keeping totally still!  - yet endless visits to consultants and a number of MRIs found nothing significant other than hormonal issues. I am sure it wasn't down to running, as one of the worst pains I got was in my shoulder (along with weird tingling and numbness in fingers for a while). I have since found out this can be caused by exceptional hormonal fluctuations (first symptoms occurred weeks after a miscarriage, sadly). Recently it has eased a lot, but I just wake up feeling like my ankles can't hold my weight on occasions. Still get the tingly, crawly  feeling in my back too. Apparently that's linked to v low estrogen? The joys of being a woman! x   :-\

i think it's hormones too..i read something...i can't remember where, that said that estrogen is like the body's WD40...it rang true, my legs and hips have been so painful the last few months, I'm only 45, shouldn't be happening, i feel a bit ridiculous being so achey at this age. I think it's too much of a coincidence that the pain has started alongside the other symptoms...seriously hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel x ::)