Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Will GP refer me for intolerance testing?  (Read 12970 times)

Rowan

Re: Will GP refer me for intolerance testing?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »

You are all so lovely  :-*

I have almost decided not to go ahead with the three year program, after reading the posts on the "allergy" thread lots of us have "Oral Allergy Syndrome" and it can be managed by avoidance once you know you have it and what foods and cross pollinated foods can cause reactions. 

http://www.allergyuk.org/oral-allergy-syndrome/oral-allergy-syndrome

It seems that it is raw foods that are the problem mostly.

The injections that I am to have are for Birch sensitivity which involved injecting small amounts to start with and increasing until the immune system stops reacting to it.

I do have numerous air borne sensitivities, but they can only use immunology therapy for no more then two. I have read also that immunology is not suitable for people who have numerous sensitivities.

So who knows, you trust them to know what they are doing ::)

Hope it goes well for you cubagirl, I have had the blood tests for intolerances, the results are interesting, for me it came up with what I did know about and some I didn't.

What was more interesting that it showed up  exactly some the same results, that I had about 20 years ago when I had tests at Holland&Barrret when the tester put a probe on the side of my thumb, the sort of test that is frowned on by sceptics.

Food for though so to speak  :)

Joyce

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

I had the thumb one done many moons ago too. Test then showed dairy, yeast & beef. Dairy I knew about, yeast & beef not. I've continued to take things with yeast & don't eat much beef anyway, maybe once a week at most.

15 things being tested for this time. Some of them the usual others include CRP, IGA, BONE PROFILE, RAST, B12, COELIAC DISEASE. Will know in a week to 10 days.

honeybun

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »

I hope you get a definitive answer CG. At least you would know what you were dealing with and what to avoid.
I'm surprised that your GP gave you Colpermin (sp). It does nothing for a case of the runs. My herbal drops are very good at that if you wanted to avoid meds. They are also an anti spasmodic so help with pain.

SL, I can understand why you would want to stop this treatment. Do you think you can manage to avoid everything that gives a reaction. Would you be able to get an Epipen for peace of mind if nothing else.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »

Daughter said similar HB. GP said it would slow my gut down. Have to say on reading the blurb, I'm not sure he's given me correct stuff either. Fine if it's IBS,  but symptoms don't add up. I don't get pain for a kick off, just sudden urge to go to loo. However, will see what transpires in next couple of weeks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 07:03:28 PM »

I rarely get pain.  Either slow transit or have to rush  ::) - Colpermin eases upper gut wind  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 02:20:07 PM »

Well results came back for dairy, no allergy. GP wants to see me next week to discuss further. What should I be asking him?  I understand allergy & intolerance are different, but not sure what to expect. Is he likely to send me for colonoscopy or some other examination? I've had barium tests done 3 times in the past, during early days of this intolerance & nothing was found. Also had to drink barium, which I'm really not prepared to do again, because of my gag reflex. It was truly awful.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »

Allergy can be dangerous, intolerance can be background, intermittent, or a nuisance.  Maybe a different diet?

Joyce

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »

Diet changes have been in place for over 15 years. Dairy I already knew about, but it's not an allergy, it's an intolerance. Could have told him that. Problem is,  it doesn't appear to be just dairy. Will probably have to work out myself, like last time.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Also some companies alter the ingredients in food stuffs which can cause problems: [my cats knew  ::) ]  ………… are your intolerances seasonal at all? 

I react to fresh onions …… I used to have heartburn when DH first began using fresh garlic but am OK now.  Ginger can help the diet too!  If my stomach is empty it can set up anxiety, odd feelings, slow transit ……….  :kick: ……… I can't remember what starts off your symptoms …...

Joyce

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »

No, not seasonal. Thought eggs were maybe a problem & took out of diet, but have eaten since & been fine. Read somewhere that it's sometimes what the hens are fed, but cannot find it now. Anxiety has always had me running, but this is different.

If I've accidentally eaten something with dairy, it's usually 1 to 2 days later I get grumblings, then after couple of hours off I run with the runs. Leaves me shattered when it's really bad.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »

It can be draining.  Onions take a few hours before they 'go through' and it's so fast, it's like having a 'trip'  :sigh: ……… and I LOVE onions.  I probably said before that I can't digest eggs i.e. boiled/poached/fried but in cooking - cakes, pancakes - I am OK.

Dairy can be oily = aggravation of gut.  As can some nuts.  Pizza ……… fresh tomatoes can set me off too so I try to take off the skins.  Freshly roasted chicken can be oily and helps bowel movements the next morning. 

Spicey foods however don't have any effect. 

Joyce

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

Well saw GP today for final results. My tummy problems are intolerances only, yeah tell me something I don't know!  Colpermin to be taken if necessary. If intolerance symptoms become problematic, then take more often.

All other tests were fine, in fact apparently my FBC was excellent. Bones are fine too. Anxiety I have said I'll deal with in my own way, as it's not bad enough to need treatment. I'm not wanting to take meds unless it gets really bad. My mum was on anxiety/depression meds for over 30 years & I'm not wanting that. My brother is like me that way. He goes off for a game of golf to de-stress, I will just do breathing exercises & pop Bach's rescue remedy pastilles.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

So nowt serious, nuisance value only.  However  ::) Colpermin is for upper gut wind ……. I took a capsule 2/3 times daily, when I had a poo the air smelt of peppermint  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »

Thankfully, nowt serious CLKD. But always best checked as they say. It is a blooming nuisance, but as GP said nothing can be done to alleviate it, just watch diet. It's definitely more than dairy, but haven't sussed out what the other thing is yet. But if it's only an intolerance I'll just have to live with it, like many others.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »

It is inconvenient though  :-\ …….
Pages: 1 2 [3]