Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello! New to the site and would appreciate help/reassurance re symptoms.  (Read 2975 times)

carolgee

Hi

I'm Carol and I'm 39. I have 5 year old twins.  I was first told I was perimenopausal 3 years ago after suffering hot flushes, night sweats. Had a (slightly) raised FSH level and referred to the local menopause clinic.  They advised considering HRT and told me to contact them again when periods stopped for 12 months.

Fast forward 3 years to May this year when it feels like everything went wrong!  I haven't had a period since May (but have lower back pain/cramps monthly), terrible migraines, horrendously tender breasts, mood swings, anxiety, paranoia, zero sex drive, exhausted, aching from head to toe, again only a slightly raised FSH (think it was about 17)  but worst of all is the pain I have from what feels like where my right ovary is down to the bones in the right hand side of my vagina.  I've had an ultrasound, internal scan of my ovaries, CA125 test, blood tests and according to the results there is nothing seriously wrong.  I have googled bone pain in that area to see if it's a 'normal' perimenopausal symptom which it doesn't seem to be and so I am driving myself crazy with panic that it is something more sinister but the doctors haven't picked it up.

I've joined this website for further information about what treatment to choose (consultant recommends HRT due to my age but I am undecided as mother and maternal grandmother both died age 57 from cancer) and also to see if there is anyone else out there that can relate to my symptoms.  The things causing me concern are the monthly cramps and lower back pain but no period and the pain in my lower right hand side.  Is this normal?  Help!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:08:28 PM by carolgee »

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello! New to the site and would appreciate help/reassurance re symptoms.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »

Hello and welcome to MM carolgee
You are not alone - I had a premature menopause in my 30s and was advised to use HRT before my periods stopped to protect my heart and bones - so I had HRT for many years.
Did your mother and grandmother have breast cancer? If so have you been tested to see if you are at risk? It would be good to get some more professional advice about this.
Many of the symptoms you are describing are very typical for menopause and many of us feel very scared at this time.  You've had good tests done so you should be reassured that things are OK. If your doctors are advising HRT (and know about your family history) then you should seriously consider it.   Do read up all the info to the left of this screen.  There is also this site that you should look at: http://www.daisynetwork.org.uk
Get back to us with questions. Keep posting.  DG x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »

Just to say I am a similar age to you and have experienced nearly all the symptoms you describe, plus a few others (but no hot flushes). I haven't had pain where you have, but have experienced cyclical pain elsewhere - mainly my mid back and ankle. Numerous scary tests and MRIs later, and all they can find is v low estrogen (FSH normal). Was beside myself with worry until I found this site and the amazing people happy to support and share their experiences. Sadly it seems that peri / menopause diagnosis and treatments don't feature highly in most GP 's areas of interest so you need to be prepared to look for information yourself. It's not an easy ride, but being on this forum reminds you you're not alone . Good luck  :)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »

Hello carolgee.

Welcome to the forum from me.

Wishing you well.

K.

carolgee

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

Hi again and thanks for your replies  :)

In answer to the cancer questions. My grandmother died of breast cancer and my mother died of cancer 2 days after she was diagnosed. As it was so quick we were told that it had spread throughout her body (breast, lung, liver and brain) and never got more info than that.  I've been referred to genetics for testing (and a bone density scan) and am currently waiting on that appointment.  At least it will give me some breathing space to read up on HRT before making a decision (unless the consultant decides against it altogether).  From what I have read so far it won't be an easy decision to make!

Will definitely keep coming on this site. I don't know anything to contribute to conversations but will be lurking in the background absorbing everyone's chat  ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:20 AM »

Keep us posted with your progress.  Good luck  DG x

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »

So sorry to hear about your mum and gran. Especially when things happen so quickly :(
I hope you get results and some good news soon.

Did your mum and gran use HRT?

As long as your having regular scans for the obvious, then there is no reason to discount HRT btw.
The consultant cannot make the decision on his own, he's only there to advise to a point.
Its up to you if you want the health benefits and better quality of life a lot of us gain from HRT.

:-*

janine scott

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »

Carolgee - ask your GP to test you for low Vitamin D as low mood and general aches and pains can be due to that.  I've just found out mine is v low and been prescribed Vitamin D as has a friend of mine.  Might be worth asking?  Btw I can relate to most of the symptoms you describe - migraine was a particularly bad one - so debilitating.

S x
Hi

I'm Carol and I'm 39. I have 5 year old twins.  I was first told I was perimenopausal 3 years ago after suffering hot flushes, night sweats. Had a (slightly) raised FSH level and referred to the local menopause clinic.  They advised considering HRT and told me to contact them again when periods stopped for 12 months.

Fast forward 3 years to May this year when it feels like everything went wrong!  I haven't had a period since May (but have lower back pain/cramps monthly), terrible migraines, horrendously tender breasts, mood swings, anxiety, paranoia, zero sex drive, exhausted, aching from head to toe, again only a slightly raised FSH (think it was about 17)  but worst of all is the pain I have from what feels like where my right ovary is down to the bones in the right hand side of my vagina.  I've had an ultrasound, internal scan of my ovaries, CA125 test, blood tests and according to the results there is nothing seriously wrong.  I have googled bone pain in that area to see if it's a 'normal' perimenopausal symptom which it doesn't seem to be and so I am driving myself crazy with panic that it is something more sinister but the doctors haven't picked it up.

I've joined this website for further information about what treatment to choose (consultant recommends HRT due to my age but I am undecided as mother and maternal grandmother both died age 57 from cancer) and also to see if there is anyone else out there that can relate to my symptoms.  The things causing me concern are the monthly cramps and lower back pain but no period and the pain in my lower right hand side.  Is this normal?  Help!