Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 7087 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

I can't face my phobia ………  :-\ so it's there, background at the very least.  :'( but medication does help as long as I don't take on too much!

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »

Hattie

Nerve pain is very real and it would take a strong mind to heal.

In the Linden Method one of the steps "Distraction" it is suggested that you find something that you can be completely absorbed by, eg a hobby, anything that takes you out of yourself. You eventually find that you can go for hours not focussing on how you feel or body sensations. You have to get into your head that you are causing the sensations, you are not dying and you don't have fatal disease, if your Doctor has ruled out that there is nothing physically wrong with you.

It could mean in a way "fake it until you make it" my words I hasten to say, not his.

Ironically he says keep off forums, googling, reading about anxiety or panic disorder, once you have mastered  the "Steps" ( I found this hard to do but I gradually saw what he was getting at) it just serves to reinforce your symptoms.

Dr Claire Weekes and The Linden Method (very similar in their approach) are the best ways to conquer your fears if you want to heal yourself. Its not a quick fix and it takes work, but in the end it does give you control.

It gave me a great sense of satisfaction that I have been able to help myself without drugs, which I could not tolerate anyway.

I am not in any way undermining people who need to have medical intervention, just to voice that there are other ways to help yourself if appropriate.

Hattie

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »

Silverlady

A consultant said to me that the brain is a monster when it comes to chronic pain. The person on the other forum who is healing has said similar to you about not focusing on the pain, not looking at forums that just reinforce symptoms, addressing negative emotions etc.

i just find it interesting and worth exploring - my brain got me in this mess - i wonder if it can get me out.

You mentioned hobbies - at one point i was making a childs bedside rug - i had made ones in the past even one for our fireside but making this other one was very different. It wasn't really doing it for the excitement and pleasure of seeing it grow like before but more the focusing on finishing a line each time or getting to another change in colour.

Hattie X

Pages: 1 [2]