Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67

Author Topic: It's not Christmas yet!  (Read 144199 times)

Scampi

Re: It's not Christmas yet!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »

I didn't get a lot compared with some people I was at school with - but I got my parents' love and attention, and they played with my toys and games with me - that was worth all the fancy gadgets my classmates were given so they would shut up and leave the adults to get blotto!!

It was the same when my daughter was young - we got up with her to watch her open her presents, and we played with her new toys with her.  She has helped me make the dinner since she was tall enough to reach the worktop, and at the age of 22 she still does.  This year, we have one of her friends from Uni staying with us for the celebration (I'm Wiccan, so I celebrate Yule on the 21st with like-minded friends ... then have to do it all again on the 25th for the rest of the family who aren't!!), and another one joining us for Yule as she loved the atmosphere last year.  So we must be doing something right! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »

By the time I got back to School I had forgotten what we were given …… so much else going on in the household  :-\ ……… I was quite an easy child to please …...

babyjane

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »

We had a show and tell in my class after the Christmas holidays but one year I didn't get anything I could take in so I took in my favourite old (hand-me-down) teddy bear. The other kids all laughed at me  :'(

I never got big presents because we didn't have much money but I used to love my stocking with lots of little bits and pieces and the apple and orange in the toe  :)

Joyce

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »

Children can be so cruel. My daughter got laughed at too.

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »

show and tell - what was the teacher thinking about  >:( ………

babyjane

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 05:06:25 PM »

this was in the early 1960, I don't think they thought that children had feeling back in those days.

Children can still be cruel to a child that is different. I had older parents and an odd home life.

Joyce

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »

Show & tell was still on the go when I was doing my nursery training in the mid 90s.
It was meant to encourage children to speak within a group, not so they could show off.   

Limpy

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »

I started school in 1963 - we never did show and tell, not ever.
The closest thing would be taking games in on the last day of term (or was that school year?)
Think that was only cos the teachers wanted to tidy things up.

Taz2

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »

We have Show and Tell each week as part of the school curriculum. Parents/carers are told when it will be their child's turn and whether there is a particular theme for the week. It works well. Each child explains a bit about what they've brought in and the rest of the class then put their hands up to ask a question. The child chooses which three children to pick. It's never about showing off and if a child is a bit shy about speaking out then one of the other children in the class always offers to stand with them. They learn to listen and show respect to whoever is speaking. They learn to sit quietly and to wait their turn which is all part of social skills.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

That is a more organised approach.  We never did show and tell, nor did we have 'what did you do at the weekend' type discussions. 

Wish it would be over  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »

I've still got my books from when I was an Infant - my dad kept them all which I didn't know until after he'd died - and I find it really funny reading what the five year old me wrote about weekends.  I have my sons books too and one of them (can't remember who) always finished off with "... and then we went to the pub as usual.." which wasn't true!

I'm determined to look forward to Christmas this year!!

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »

One child in a P1 class was very explicit during his description of what had happened during his weekend. His dad went to the pub & then he  :sick02:  Teacher & I had such a job keeping smiles off our faces.
Wish I had my books & my kids ones too but there was no room. However, I have kept many things they made for me. One in particular my son made. He knew I'd always wanted a cuddly koala, so he made me one at school. It's a bit crudely shaped, but I still have it to this day.
Glad to hear show & tell is still encouraged Taz.  It would have done me good as a child as I was way too shy. Certainly  has helped eldest GD. She has oodles of confidence now.

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »

I would not have been able to attend 'show and tell'.  It was bad enough walking through the school gate, gosh this is a meander  ;D

Anxiety around C.mas goes back to my earliest days.  :'( - too many strangers around, too much rich food, noise, late nights, travelling ………

honeybun

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »

Show and tell is great, show and show off is completely different.

I used to love parents nights when I got to read the diary that the kids kept.It was an eye opener. When my sons class did a project on pets they had or wish they had he asked if he could bring in our dog. After a bit of negotiations I did take my retriever to school.
One show and tell for my son involved his sister. I took her in at three weeks old. All the kids got a chance to see my sons little sister. It was very common then.

I just loved Xmas when my kids were little. To see the excitement on the little faces was such a precious time. Such happy memories.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »

My daughter took wee one to eldest GDs school for a short show & tell last year. Eldest GD was ever so proud.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 67