Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Housework  (Read 14780 times)

Joyce

Re: Housework
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »

Bathroom once a week thoroughly, plus odd wipe down if needed. Dusting once a week, hubby hoovers.

Kitchen done pretty much daily, well the worktops. Doors & cupboards once in a while.

My mum dusted & hoovered every single day, which I used to also. Nowadays, I can't be bothered if I'm honest.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

That's what my mother did and now expects me to do the same when I'm at her house  :o

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Does your Mum follow you around Honeybun whilst you're working ?

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »

what a lot of lovely interesting posts especially about life in the military   :)

most of us seem to be the same in that a clean bathroom and kitchen are a top prioroty.  I have just done some baking so the kitchen has had a clean.  The bathroom gets a spray and a wipe most days, gets a thorough scouring if I have bathed the dog and hubby de-moulds the grout when black specks start to appear.

I think having a dog means you have to keep a certain standard or it gets grubby and dirty so I do.  The dog is my responsibility so I clean up after her. I would hate someone to come into my house and think it smelt, it is not pristine but it is comfortable.  Husband is a clutterer and I have given up fighting it now he is retired he can do his own tidying up.  I don't mind some clutter but I don't like dirt. Clean bedding feels lovely so I do that regularly.

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »

Dusting?!!!! What's that?  ;D

Don't worry bj I'm a slob too! Ditto have a husband like yours! My answer is the minimum I can get away with that is hygienic.

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »

Just remembered some more stuff about Service life, we had an Ayah and a houseboy in Aden, mum use to give him his meals, she tried to teach him to eat with a knife and fork, but he didn't take to it and use to eat fried eggs with his fingers. Also a dhobi boy who starched our clothes so much we had to pull the sleeves apart to get our clothes on.

In Singapore we had an Amah, she was lovely, and a gardener who my little sister loved and followed him around everywhere, she seem to understand him what he said though he chattered in Hindi.

In Germany we had house frau, she use to sit me on the floor bumper and rush up and down the hall polishing the floor at the same time, with our dog Zoe grabbing at the duster under the pumper, we all had such fun.

Lovely memories.

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »

I love these stories  :).

Hurdity a woman after my own heart, not quite Quentin Crisp though  ::)
'after the first 4 years the dust doesn't get any thicker' ;D

Limpy

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »

Dusting - It gets done when it's noticeable.

- In the parts of the house with big windows - when it's sunny - (been awkward this summer)
- Darker parts of the house - when it becomes a fire risk

;D

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »

:rofl:

When we had a very gentle cat who would walk through cut glass without pushing any onto the floor, I could see dust ………. she would leave paw prints along the mantle piece or shelves.   :-*

DH did the windows yesterday - the double glazing plastic frames had got black and mouldy  >:( so he took Cif cleaner and a thick cloth to it whilst I did the kitchen.  We have glass panels on our doors throughout the ground floor  ::) : wonder whose bright idea that was ………  :-X :P

I love these stories too!  Good Thread  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

Mmm! I have the touch of the OCDs, but not the energy or time or family to accommodate it. So when I feel up to it I tackle a room and do it thoroughly. Between times, well...... I have a carpet cleaner, but simply haven't the strength or energy to use it, but hubbie says he will help me......one day.......!

When the children lived at home, I cleaned my son's room as he functioned so much better when it was tidy. He is dyslexic and was always so grateful if I restored order. I left my daughter to it, once she was capable, much to her relief. I considered her room tidy if I could see the carpet!  ;D I was very conscious that I could not impose OCD on the children and be rigid, so I explained the issues I had. I think having a family kept these tendencies within liveable limits, but not without internal battles.

I used to teach in a school where many of the children came from service families in the 70s and had to comfort some young mums, who had had scrubbed their previous house from top to bottom, only to be allocated a new house that was filthy. I was unimpressed with the support these families were given, with husbands posted to Northern Ireland.

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

Teenagers bedrooms!!  :o  oh the stories I could tell about things I found............. ::)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »

Anyone watch 'obsessive cleaners' last night at 8.00  :o

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »

sparkle I physically cannot do heavy housework like hoovering, bed changing or moving furniture so that is why my husband pitches in.  Before he retired I had a cleaner once a month to go right through but he does it now. I wet dust or use those cloths that 'grab' the dust as otherwise I spend hours sneezing for England.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »

Sparkle - that's our house too!

groundhog

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »

I quite like housework but since finishing work I seem to be far less organised.  I tend to do some cleaning everyday so it never really gets untidy.  My kitchen floor is a nightmare - only been down 18 months and it's a sort of rustic tile.  I swear it absorbs dirt dust and anything else - a nightmare to keep clean - literally scrubbing brush on hands on knees to get it really clean!
OH does very little.  Big problem since I retired -  :rofl:  I'm busier than ever but he is self employed so gets very tired pity for him  :cuss:  he will Hoover if I ask him.  Cooking - big no no.  I suppose my house is the only thing I feel in control of so yes it is generally tidy :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3