Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poppies  (Read 9073 times)

bramble

Poppies
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:56:02 PM »

It was good to see that all 888,246 of the ceramic poppies at the Tower of London have been sold. Makes you think doesn't it?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Poppies
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »

Oh No! I wanted one  :'(

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »

Has anyone been to see the display?  I hear it's very impressive and thought-provoking. 

I am thinking of going in the next few days but have been discouraged by tales of big crowds and long queues for the vantage points.

Any recent experiences?

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »

I just hope they aren't going to end up being flogged on ebay for a higher price.  One of those was for my mother's father's brother (would have been my great uncle had he not been killed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »

Why not?  They are in the public domain on the open market  :-\

tiger74

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:10:54 PM »

babyjane - I agree, to me it feels disrespectful that people would re-sell these for personal gain/profit when the original idea was to raise awareness of the ultimate sacrifice by so many and also to raise money for service charities which do, in my opinion, such valuable work.  Sadly, nothing is sacred these days.  If I do go, I will spare a thought for your mother's father's brother as well as others I have known and lost through military service.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »

Saw  pictures on TV. Very impressive. I bought one of the centenary pins.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:47 PM »

Such a evocative sight. Really makes me want to cry. I think it would be just terrible to see them being sold on. Hopefully the type of person who would buiy one would actually want it and it would mean something to them.
Nothing like living in hope.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

what a kind thought tiger74  :thankyou:

CLKD - 'why not?' because I personally would find it upsetting as Tiger 74 has outlined, especially as grandad's brother is represented there but I am not stupid, I do realise what a opportunistic world we live in. I don't live in la la land.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »

If someone sold one on and then gave the money to the service charities this would be ok but not to just make a quick profit for themselves. I suppose these poppies will be passed down to children and grandchildren and eventually they will be sold for "personal gain". I didn't buy one as I wasn't sure what I would actually do with it so just donated the £25.

Lots of friends have been to see it babyjane and said it was very moving. Not too much queuing - well no more than you would have to queue for any London attraction.

Taz x

thorntrees

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:28 AM »

It does seem to be a very thought provoking expression of the nations remembrance of those who died in the Great War but the commercial side of it does bother me a little. I know it has raised a lot of money for service charities which is wonderful but I fear there will be those who exploit it for personal gain. To me the most poignant display of remembrance is when the poppies fall during the Festival of Remembrance each petal a symbol of a life lost falling on the heads of those who serve today.
Thorntrees

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »

hello Taz2, our son took his daughter to see them and said the same as you.

I suppose I feel a bit sensitive about it as I have a photo of grandad's brother's grave in the war cemetery in northern france and also his 'dead man's penny' and commendation from the king in the family history file. I have also been to see his name on the roll of honour in the church in the village where the family lived so I guess he is more than just a name to me but I don't want to get maudlin or over react as many people have someone in their family that was lost.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »

Not sure ,as not seen much news this week, but aren't some going abroad too. If so, you just don't know what will become of them. It would be lovely if they were kept within families, something to be proud of. My grandfather fought in WW1, though know nothing of where he was, was never spoken about. He was a survivor. I find Remembrance day very emotional these days.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »

Once you purchase it then I suppose it becomes your property and you can do what you will with it even though we may disagree with them being resold.

My grandad was gassed in the trenches in WWI - he was never able to work again but did live until he was 80. He reckoned he was one of the lucky ones in that he was sent back to England and many of his regiment died.

Taz x

bramble

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »

I bought some of them a few weeks ago. They will be given as Christmas presents, keeping one for myself.
I am astounded that they have all been sold.
Bramble
Pages: [1] 2