Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone (also need some support)  (Read 2114 times)

karenlouise

Progesterone (also need some support)
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with taking progesterone cream?  I am having terrible problems waking up every morning after 5 a.m.  either being hot or sweating but always with anxiety.  I am in post meno and estrogen and progesterone levels are very low.  Everyday I wake up with anxiety.  My Dr. has me taking 50mg of progesterone 3 times a day.  Said that will help with the adrenaline surges and anxiety I am having.  After 2 1/2 weeks of doing this I have seen no change at all.  I am miserable and most days don't function well.  I have always taken good care of myself through diet, exercise, and spiritually.  This has been by far the worst period of time of this menopause journey.  Can someone please comment on any of this.  I'm emotionally exhausted as I once was a very active vibrant person.  This has really grounded me.   I am trying to tell myself that this is all hormone related.  Will call my Dr. today to discuss the progesterone.

peegeetip

Re: Progesterone (also need some support)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »

Not sure why your just getting progesterone? Perhaps your doc is worried about estrogen.

I'd say from my own experience I felt my anxiety start to diminish not long after I started my HRT estrogen tablets in first month.
Felt a bit teary off and on in the first month too but definately a lot calmer feeling.

:-*

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:24:11 PM by peegeetip »

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »

It's oestrogen that helps with flushes and not progesterone.

How long have you been post meno.

If you can give us a few more details then perhaps we can help a bit more.

Honeyb
x

karenlouise

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »

My Dr. doesn't believes in the estrogen dominance theory and is why he is not giving me estrogen. But he is now thinking I may need some estrogen.  I have been in post meno I would guess at least a few years. The last 5 months have been the worst as far as consistent anxiety, night sweats accompanied with anxiety and sometimes I awaken very startled and totally drenched with sweat.  He said I am producing too much adrenaline so was trying to control it with the progesterone and started eating a ton of green vegetables which he said would give my brain the sugar it needed and thus would reduce the adrenaline.  I take a supplement for adrenal fatigue. 

I tried HRT a few years ago and it worked OK for a few months and then I started feeling worse so decided to just tough it out and gradually weaned myself off of them.   Have tried AD's and could not tolerate the side affects.

Every since I started menopause I felt that my body went through a cycle as there was a pattern it followed. During those cycles I would have several days of feeling good. My Dr. said those cycles would eventually stop and the last few months that pattern is no longer apparent and so thinking cycles have stopped thus the horrible symptoms.  Just my own theory.  Been using a soy protein powder in my smoothies.  Any suggestions?

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

"it worked OK for a few months"

How many months did you stay on est+prog HRT?

Why don't you try a conti HRT? This may iron out the problems you might have had in the earlier sequi HRT.

:-*

Suzyq

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 03:05:30 AM »

I was on progesterone cream for a year and it worked great but that was when my progesterone was very low and my estrogen 'normal'! Once my estrogen fell, I needed both to feel good (I am on a conti regime). I think if your estrogen is low, you will need both!

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »

Sounds like you need oestrogen...ask Doc for the rub on gel...it works a treat! But then you will need another form of Progesterone as the rub on progesterone cream is not strong enough to protect your uterus should you still have one...if not then the oestrogen gel alone is just fine...