Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Periods mixed up - advice please?  (Read 3791 times)

Milamam

Periods mixed up - advice please?
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »

Hi all,
I am perimenopausal and on Femoston 2/10 for 6 months already. While on HRT, I have missed only one month period (no bleed at all) and have had two months of only light spotting . The rest has been fine, all periods on time, normal in length, etc.  Mid October when my period was due I got just two days of light spotting again. Spotting started while i was still on the progesterone pills, toward the end of the pack. On day 3 of cycle, I took blood tests as I was due for a review. They showed high estrogen (1,970 first test, 500 second test). I didn't worry much as the doc explained this is due to HRT and estradiol levels are irrelevant when you are on therapy. At the review ovaries were OK and uterus lining was 7mm. Doc said all normal.

This morning, 14 days after my spotting episode, I got a full blown bleed . Been sweating for two nights and low in mood but no other pre-bleed symptoms at all. Should I worry? Should I try to contact the doctor to see whether this mid cycle bleed is normal? I have a feeling that my cycle is now more mixed up than before HRT. I am now still on the estrogen only pills, havent even started the combined ones.

Oh, tell me this is nothing to worry about, please!

Milamam

Briony

Re: Periods mixed up - advice please?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:04:58 AM »

Hi Miliamam
I can't help with your question as I've not yet started HRT - but I am sure there are many out there who will be able to give advice. I'm interested that you're taking Femoston as I too am peri meno and think, if I go down the tablet route (rather than patches) this seems to be the best option. Are you happy with it, bleeds aside? Did you have any side effects? Have you tried any other forms? I just seems such a minefield - and with an unsupportive GP, I'm not sure which way to turn!

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »

Hi Briony, yes, Femoston has been great for me. This was the first HRT I was given. I am 43 now and peri for perhaps two years already, before I realized it. I only had nausea and acid reflux in the first couple of months, mainly prior to period. Other than that I didnt experience any bad side effects. Sleep improved, flushes too, I feel calmer and more energetic now. I didnt gain any weight, which was something I was very much worried about. For me it is still early days as 6 months of therapy is not such a long perid, so I am hoping that this bleeds situation is nothing serious . What the doctor said is sometimes during the peri stage ovaries are working at their max trying to pop out whatever reserves have remained hence my surge in estrogen two weeks ago. Perhaps that excess estrogen has caused the current mid term bleed.

Milamam

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »

Spoke to the doc yesterday, he said not to worry but did not explain why is this bleed happening. I'll see him on Tue next week. He said I dont need any further tests. Any thoughts of why this mid cycle bleed?

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »

I had just had a blip and just put it down to my own cycle (I was bleeding 17-24 days) messing things up as it came with some breast symptoms.  I would be interested in how you get on.

Briony

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »

Really glad to hear the doc isn't concerned about the timing of your bleed. Good news  :)

Thanks for the advice re HRT too really appreciated. I too am coming up 43 and share your concerns re weight. It's nice to know I am not alone!

B

Millykin

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »

Hi
I'm 44 and also on Femoston for 6 months, first 3 packs I had bleed after finishing progrsterone then forth pack nothing then took a bleed halfway way through 5 th pack, GP said nothing to worry about, now on pack 7 and haven't had another since pack 5 feel better for it anyway.
X

Milamam

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

Thanks this is great to know. The bleed was normal no pain no flooding, lasted about 4 days. I am finishing now pack 7 so lets see whether there will be another bleed.