Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Life without ovaries  (Read 6059 times)

groundhog

Life without ovaries
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »

Morning ladies,
Having a bad time with negative thoughts.  As you know I am facing complete hysterectomy in January plus removal of my rectum ( chrons).  I already have a bag but 30 years ago they left rectum in - medical opinion today is they take it out as it can become cancerous.  Hysterectomy because I have lesions onmy ovaries following 30 yrs of cysts being drained and surgeries - left lots of scar tissues.  So scans aren't reliable as they canst be sure what they are seeing.  Put o p off for years owing to family problems.  It's driving me nuts so I've decided to go ahead.
I just taking what will be left of me after such an op.  I don't take HRT ATM and apart from problems with intimacy I am sort of ok ( well put it this way the joint pains anxiety depression were there before meno ).  I have read your ovaries continue to produce hormones agpfter the meno so what will of be like.  D you age rapidly without ovaries?  My surgeon did say once he knows what these lesions are,  we could try HRT but he reckons at 55 I won't miss them.  But when you google it ( yes I know I shouldn't ) it states this is not the case.
Are there any ladies out there who have had ovaries removed and can't take HRT?  It's so hard - there is no ovarian cancer in my family but they won't leave the hysterectomy as they have to open me up to take the rectum out.  If  I lived in America they wouldn't take the rectum either as it is felt the risks aren't enough to warrant it.
Feel like running away I really do. 
Any thoughts lovely ladies ?

Dancinggirl

Re: Life without ovaries
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Hi groundhog
I had a premature menopause so suffered early ovarian failure - I somehow doubt my ovaries produce much if any oestrogen. I am 58 now. I am not on HRT at the moment but may go back on.  Since I came off HRT last autumn I haven't exactly aged faster but I am getting more oestrogen deficiency issues e.g.bladder & atrophy problems, poor sleep etc.
If you aren't getting severe menopause symptoms now then I suspects things would not be that different post op.
Do stay positive - it sounds as though you have a good surgeon who is going to give you a good outcome. I'm sure once you recovered from the procedure you can then look at your options re: HRT - you will only need oestrogen which is fab, as after a hyster you don't need that retched progesterone that so often causes the problems.
Look after yourself as much as you can in the mean time so you go into the whole thing in the best health you can achieve.  DG xxx

Babylon Burning

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »

Hi Groundhog, sorry to hear about your surgery, I have everything crossed that it all goes smoothly for you.  I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer February 2013, just before my 50th birthday so everything reproductive had to go!  I can't have HRT because of the cancer but I can honestly say I haven't aged rapidly.  I am still very active (horse riding, dog walking) and still feel like my old self.  My main problems are night sweats (which actually start late afternoon!) and I just get on with them as best I can.

I hope this reassures you.  Take care.

groundhog

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.  I worry about everything and read too much.  I think the problem is I don't have to have the surgery but it's a risk not to have it and every time i am unwell or have a scan or MRI, they show up these lesions on my ovaries.  They have been there for years but my consultant doesn't know for sure what they are.  They could be pre cancerous or they could be harmless.  He won't do biopsy incase they are nasty.  Plus of course the rectum issue.  I have become so negative though I just can't feel comfortable about the surgery but I suppose this is normal.  BB - reassuring to know you are able to carry on with your active life,  that's all I ask for.
Thanks DG - yes my surgeons are very good and I have to believe they woudnt do the surgery if they thought I was going to be worse off.
Just one of those days - feeling down .  Thanks again ladies xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:35:41 PM »

You are bound to have worries particularly as this isn't 'emergency' surgery.  Making a list of worries might be the way to go, then ring the Surgeon/Ward and ask for an appt for a chat?  Is there a specific Nurse appointed to you to talk things through - you may have told me already but meno brain doesn't remember that far back.

:foryou:  ……… I think it is important to get rid of anything that might become problematic - you could wait another 10 years but your Surgeon might have retired by then and if you trust him ……..

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »

Yes that is very valid CLKD.  I've only got these 2 top surgeons as they deal with difficult pelvic surgery ( I was referred to them when it was thought I had ovarian cancer ).  So if I keep delaying I think it's only a matter of time before I am referred to medical rather than surgical bods.  I have written my list of worries and they have assured me the worst that could happen is they can't do the surgery ( lots of adhesions ).  They say they will look at HRT once they know what the lesions are - they can't even consider it now as they don't know what they are dealing with.
I'm trying to lose weight and get fit as realise the fitter I am the better. 

Thanks again for your input xxx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »

:bighug: you keep sharing your worries.  It sometimes helps to get it out of your head and onto the page  ;)

tiger74

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

Hi

Are there any ladies out there who have had ovaries removed and can't take HRT?   

Yes, me  :)

Ovaries out at age 48, now 52.  I don't think I look/feel/behave any older than I would have done had I kept my ovaries.  My hair has thinned somewhat and is drier than it used to be, I do get vaginal dryness, night sweats and don't feel as energetic as I used to.  (However, I have also had cancer treatment in 2009/10 and am on ongoing endocrine treatment (aromatase inhibitor) so difficult to tell how much of my 'symptoms' are down to oophorectomy and how much to other stuff).  My bones are good, my general health is good, my BMI is good, life is good.

D you age rapidly without ovaries?

In my case, no.

All the very best with everything.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:44:13 PM by tiger74 »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

:thankyou: