Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 12 Months since last bleed/Hrt advice/recommendations  (Read 2693 times)

karenja

12 Months since last bleed/Hrt advice/recommendations
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »

Hi

in December it will be 12 months since my last natural bleed (did have a bleed a few months ago when I came of Elleste Duet before end of pack), currently on Everol Sequi, Ive been reading HRT Preparations on here, does that mean in December I will be class as Post Menupausal? and if so the options then will be to go onto a combined hrt, bit wary of this as I don't really like the progesterone patches as I get side effects, so that would mean I would be continually on progesterone/estrogen, when Im better on the whole on estrogen only, any positive feedback/recommendations on combined hrt? Im 53, 54 in December x

Dancinggirl

Re: 12 Months since last bleed/Hrt advice/recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »

Hi karenja
Unfortunately you don't know where you are in your menopause because you are on HRT.  You would probably have to come off HRT for a while to see whether natural bleeds return or they could do some blood tests to look at your oestrogen levels - however blood tests can be unreliable.  If you were a few years older you could probably be deemed post menopausal and then a continuous HRT (oestrogen+progesterone all the time) would be an option.  As you find the progesterone part challenging, the conti HRT could be a problem and it is of this reason that many women choose to stay on sequi HRT and continue having a monthly withdrawal bleed.
If you are get up with having a bleed you could try having a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen in patch or gel form - in theory the Mirena delivers progesterone locally so this reduces the negative effects of progesterone, however, some women still have a few issues.  The plus of the Mirena is that there should be no bleeding beyond the first few weeks.
If you are having problems with the Progesterone in Elleste you could try a different HRT with a kinder progesterone  - Femoston is tolerated very well by many women because it is closer to natural progesterone.  There is also Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) that many women like as well and this can be used alongside oestrogen as patch or gel .
I hope that helps.  DG x