Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ebola - how scared should we be?  (Read 15629 times)

Rowan

Re: Ebola - how scared should we be?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »

How ebola is transmitted

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

It is highly unlikely that you can get ebola from restaurants in the UK, ebola is not as yet in Britain, if it were the Government would be alerting us.

Newspapers are doing their usual thing of causing worry and unrest.

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »

It's really quite hard to catch Cassie. We're nowhere near that stage. As silverlady says we would be alerted.

They are sending in more troops to help contain virus. Let's just hope they are successful.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »

The press love to scare us witless. We were all going to die of mad cow disease, then bird flu then swine flu.

It's awful but I'm not really thinking about it coming here and getting out of control.
I will worry later.....Just not yet.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »

Sweat seems to be easily transferred though - which is why they banned handshakes in the countries affected I suppose.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »

Apparently washing hands with soap and water is effective for stopping the spread of infection. With surfaces, standard cleaners work well, especially bleach and chlorine......

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »

I carry anti bacterial hand wash with me and use it when I come out of shops. Your standard shopping trolley has more germs than a toilet seat  :o.

I know it doesn't protect against the Noro virus but you can but try.

As for eating out....It's always iffy....It's as clean as the food prep people and having worked in kitchens I am hugely picky as I have seen first hand what goes on. If the average person could see what happens they would not be that keen on eating out at all.
The one big iffy one for me is homemade soup in cafes/restaurants :o....um nope, not for a gold clock. ;D

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »

When OH was in A&E Monday night there was no way he would have any of the drinks that were offered to him. The logic - hospitals are very dirty places......

countrybumpkin

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »

I carry anti bacterial hand wash with me and use it when I come out of shops. Your standard shopping trolley has more germs than a toilet seat  :o.

I know it doesn't protect against the Noro virus but you can but try.

As for eating out....It's always iffy....It's as clean as the food prep people and having worked in kitchens I am hugely picky as I have seen first hand what goes on. If the average person could see what happens they would not be that keen on eating out at all.
The one big iffy one for me is homemade soup in cafes/restaurants :o....um nope, not for a gold clock. ;D

Honeyb

Many years ago I worked in a hotel kitchen/waitressing and seeing what went on I refused to eat a meal out for over 2 years!  Even now I have to not think about what is going on and must say I tend to eat only food that is deep fried or should be very hot and avoid cold food that will have been handled.  If you knew what goes on with those salad garnishes :o :o :o
x

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:58 PM »

It's as clean as the food prep people and having worked in kitchens I am hugely picky as I have seen first hand what goes on. If the average person could see what happens they would not be that keen on eating out at all.

Daughter once took a job in a burger place, left after a week when she saw what the "chef" was doing to the food. To this day I still struggle in these burger places. Eldest GD gets as  a treat sometimes.

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »

Oh i have seen what they do with a salad garnish.....and the rest of the stuff too  :o

Really puts you off eating out....sometimes it's like Russian Roulette.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »

rosebud57

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 09:19:35 AM »

Will done silverlady, there's danger of hysteria over this, whereas we are in very little danger over here.  If people want to do something positive about ebola why not donate to a charity who is actually tackling the illness, on the ground in Africa.  This is where people are suffering and dying.  I would suggest MSF (Medecins Sans Frontieres) who have doctors and nurses treating people over there.  You can donate online at their website, and you will not only be helping the sick and dying but helping to reduce the spread.  Much better than fretting about things which might not happen.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »

British 'experts' (how I HATE that word) - are telling the UK press this weekend that checking at Airports etc. won't do any good at all! other than holding up progress ……..

Good hygiene.  Eat well. Be aware ……...

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »

Just to to clarify - having quickly looked at the links silverlady provided and really what I suspected. Clearly if it is contained in saliva and sweat then it is logical it can be transmitted through the air by droplet infection (and eg by sneezing) or possibly by shaking hands especially as it can survive outside the body for several days.

However relating to this the important points to note from the NHS site are:

Ebola virus disease is generally not spread through routine social contact (such as shaking hands) with patients who do not have symptoms.

The virus is not, for example, as infectious as diseases like the flu, as airborne transmission is much less likely. You'd need to have close contact with the source of infection to be at risk.

I have highlighted in bold ie "generally" and "much less likely" - and these are the crucial points.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »

I know this probably sounds harsh and I will be shot down in flames....but here goes.

Ban all travel in and out of affected areas apart from health care workers and aid.

Don't allow anyone to leave or enter Ebola areas at all.

In other words close things down....if this is not possible then quarantine every one travelling from these areas for at least 21 days. No one in or out until they have been quarantined.x

It's not as if we depend on this part of the world for anything in particular....so shut it down until this is under control.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4