Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Confused newbie  (Read 5698 times)

Hurdity

Re: Confused newbie
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »

Hi Estelle

I'm just catching up with the threads - and I think Dancinggirl has answered all your questions very well but just wanted to say hi as a Utrogestan user.

I am a bit confused about all your treatments and blood tests and whether you were confirmed as being peri-menopausal?

It is difficult to ascertain menopausal status from blood tests and especially from only one as estradiol levels vary throughout the day as well as from day to day throughout the cycle. As far as I understand Proff Studd is treating you for low oestrogen, as evidenced by your one blood test and low mood/depression as well as the scan showing low bone density?

As you probably know Studd attributes much PND to low oestrogen and especially if this is borne out by low mood/depression in the second half of the cycle which worsens just before the period.  Some women have lower oestrogen levels generally - after all there is a range of what is normal. It sounds like he is saying you have low oestrogen which he is treating along with the testosterone which is supposed to contribute to mood as well as libido and other things.

He is most definitely the expert on these things - and we are all amateurs, albeit sometimes better informed than some GPs. It struck me though that your single oestrogen level for Day 1 of your period wasn't particuarly low - if you look at the reference range for Day 5 on Wikpedia - it is between 110 and 220 p mol/l for most women. Yours was at the lower level but on Day 1, but Day 5 it would have been higher. However because you were low in the other hormone (T) thas well as because of your symptoms I presume that's why you have been given oestrogen - and particularly because of your bones. Also Testosterone is not given unless a woman is also having oestrogen as part of HRT.

The other thing is your last reading - the oestrogen level is definitely high but within the range for what is known as the pre-ovulatory peak. It depends when in your cycle the blood test was done? Also if as Dancinggirl suggested, your own cycle is still working, even if it becomes irregular if you are becoming peri-menopausal, then not only will they break through and cause bleeding at erratic times as you are experiencing, but also your levels could become very high indeed at their peak.

It is very tricky to get the balance right especially in peri-menopause and in your case. You want to keep the levels high enough to protect your bones, and improve your mood, but I can't imagine having oestrogen levels permanently as high as they are at ovulation, as this would probably be too much all the time. HRT usually is trying to average out the oestrogen levels over the whole cycle - but without the peaks and troughs.

Re the Utrogestan - I use it vaginally, 200 mg for 12 days every 6-8 weeks but I am well post-menopause and have almost no oestrogen of my own! Although there are meant to be fewer side effects when used vaginally, I do experience some: it affects my bladder from the start and I have to get up in the night twice to pee (normally only once at other times);  by Day 5 I begin to get a foggy head and wake up feeling especially tired (more than usual) and get foggier as the course wears on. Sometimes I get a headache and sometimes a migraine but not always. When I stop taking it I experience the usual pmt progesterone withdrawal symptoms for a few days (experienced by most women) and then a day or two after the bleed starts the fog lifts and I feel myself again!

This has turned out to be a long post and apologies if I have repeated anything that Dancinggirl has already said - it took a long time to read and I'm not sure I took it all in!

By the way I do find Studd's website informative but not intuitive to use - when you click on the menu on the left, for some of the tabs there is a whole lot of new tabs within that section on the right - like chapters - which I missed when I first started reading the website.

I hope this is helpful and do come back if you have any more questions

Hurdity  :)

Chi chi

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »

Hi Hurdity and thanks for the lengthy reply  :)
I've since emailed Prof Studd as I'm really confused by it all and not sure what to expect and when?? He didn't actually say that I'm peri but then he didn't really say very much at all lol apart from it sounds like I'm prog intolerant and that he thinks hrt could help me greatly.
The first test was taken early on in the morning and that day was my first bleed for 6 weeks (since coming off cerazette) so day 1 of my cycle??
I just feel really flat and deflated after feeling so well up until taking the Utrogestan! My mood etc hasn't lifted since and I have to take it again on 1 oct which I'm really not looking forward to!  :( I am seriously considering the option of having everything removed but just want to be certain it is the prog causing the problems, I've asked him if it could be because my testosterone level was/is too high now as I've read that can cause low mood, loss of libido, agitation, anxiety etc?? It's all so confusing  ???

It's still early days into treatment I suppose so hopefully things will start to level out soon (I hope)!

Thanks again  :)

Chi chi

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »

Got a reply from Prof Studd yesterday, was a bit vague in his mail and i still feel none the wiser but basically he doesn't think I'm menopausal but peri-menopausal, he said to not take the Utrogestan this month and try again on 1 nov.
He also said that we should prob talk about a hysterectomy but not via emails and suggested another appt? I had asked him a few questions re cost, where it would be done and who by? No reply to those??

Hmmm???

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:20 AM »

Call his secretary about costs - he probably doesn't deal with all that.
Good that he has suggested a gap in the Utrogestan bit - you will then get a better idea of how you feel.  I'd make another appointment soon to discuss things.
Good luck  Dg x
Pages: 1 [2]