Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3834 times)

Teapea71

« on: September 16, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

I have been scanning the forum for the last few months and have taked great comfort from the wise words of all the gals out there in the land of hormonal upheaval!!
     I am 43 (a baby I know!!) and am 5 years post hysterctomy (kept one ovary). Since my op I have suffered VA with terrible bouts of cystitis. I had a cystoscopy which was NAD and have been on vagifem for about a year which has improved things although I still get urinary problems, urgency etc.  :-\ This is compounded however by a lack of genital sensitivity and poor arousal...I really miss that tingle!!! I used to have a high sex drive and am almost greaving its loss!!!
    Things have come to a head recently as I have been having spells of night sweats, anxiety, feeling over whelmed, brain fog, memory problems, crushing fatigue, lack of motivation and being unable to lose a gram of weight in spite of eating healthily and exercising regularly. I went to my GP, saw a young newly qualified doc who was really lovely, gave me a form to have my FSH checked. On the return appointment I saw my usual GP (lady doctor of a certain age!!!) before I had even sat down she said that all my results are completely normal and I was 'fixated' on my hormones.  :( :( :( I was really shocked that she was so rude and dismissive of my symptoms. I am already on Thyroxine and I have been down this route before...had a borderline TSH and wanted to monitor me...on repeat TSH just over 4 but T4 - 7.
     I think she assumed that I believed I was menopausal...rather that perimenopausal. I understand that my poor little ovary is probably 'spluttering' and that is reflected in my bloods (FSH 14, oestogen 400ish) but I feel quite desperate!! Im not the sort to go to the docs without good reason and I have always been very in tune with my hormones!!! I know thay are all over the place!!!
     I am taking menopace, evening primrose and cod liver oil (to support knees really). I think that this combo has helped... night sweats not so frequent and sleeping better...thank goodness!!! I feel that im just gonna have to wait it out as my doctor will not consider giving me anything HRTwise to support me...I really feel like something I used to have has gone...and that is really sad...
 On a lighter note...my husband is fabulous (love him dearly  :) )and I have a happy healthy 21 year old son...my life is busy...a have a great social life and a fulfilling job...I dont want to spend the next 10 years waiting to go into full blown menopause until my GP deems it appropriate to give me a bit of my oestrogen back!!! SOOOOOO sorry to rant...I just feel so frustrated at the moment.  >:( Any advice would be welcomed x

Witches Cat

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »

Hello Teapea71, I was always a great believer in listening to your body, re: hormones.. I used to use the magic box that was called "persona" where you pee'd on a stick and put it in the machine and it'd tell you what point you were in along your cycle and whether it was a "red" day or a Green one contraception wise. I always knew the answer before doing the test, hardly ever wrong (don't know if you can still get the kit now) anyway... My body always told me what I needed by way of how I was feeling, but now it's lying through it's gritted teeth, and I can't believe a thing it's telling me...  you just keep logging in here and maybe you will find some answers or suggestions to help you, failing that make a nuisance of yourself at the docs and make them take you seriously. Only you know how you feel... (oh yes, and all of us on here too) can you ask to see the young doc? it sounds like she's more up with it...   :) 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

Hi Teapea71 and welcome to MM
The peri stage is very tough and then to have an unsympathetic GP - a women as well - that really doesn't help. You may not be quite ready for HRT but that does't mean you shouldn't have it an option to the near future.  You are young and the GP should be monitoring your hormone levels regularly especially because of your medical history with the hysterectomy because if your remaining ovary throw in the towel you will need oestrogen to prevent heart and bones problems in the one term.
I'd keep a diary so you have a better idea of what is going on and this is then evidence you can present to the doc, perhaps go back an see a different GP at the practise and ask to be referred to a meno clinic if there is one or a gynae.
Keep us posted.  DG x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:55 PM »

hello and welcome to the forum  :)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »

Hi Teapea - welcome from me too.

Your FSH level seems right for peri menopause - mine was over 100 when I started HRT - but Dancinggirl is right in that HRT should be an option for you in the future should you need it.

Sorry that you have lost your "tingle". Did you keep your cervix when you had your hysterectomy?

Taz x  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »

Hi Teapea71

:welcomemm:

Hurdity x

Teapea71

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »

Thanks for all your replies  :) Dancinggirl, I totally agree with your comments. I will insist that my FSH is measured regularly over the next few years. I am happy to keep taking the supplements and being as healthy as possible.... would be nice to know that my GP doesn't just think I'm a 'nutjob'... It annoyed me that she put some of my symptoms down to being 'middle-aged'...I could have screamed!!! I'm only 43!!! i do not consider myself 'middle-aged' and I will not grow old gracefully!!
Taz2... I had a total abdominal hysterectomy...all gone except my left ovary. I think the sexual thing is the most distressing symptom (I know its not life-threatening or anything and I still have a sex life) but I feel 'robbed' and I dont know if that is hormonal or that the operation has caused some nerve damage...it feels like something has been switched off!!  :-\ Hey Ho...keep taking the tablets!!!

Teapea71 x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Hi again Teapea. The removal of the womb and cervix has an impact on orgasm in many woman. The womb is a muscle and it is this which contracts during orgasm together with the flexation of the cervix. Clitoral orgasm should still be possible but it is often much shorter lived and milder.  There's a bit about it here http://www.healthywomen.org/content/ask-expert/1357/hysterectomy-and-lack-orgasm

Taz xx

Teapea71

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:21 AM »

Hi Taz2...I can still have an orgasm thankfully (I go on the theory that if you rub two sticks together for long enough...you will eventually get fire!!)  Funnily enough, before my hysterectomy, I used to have very strong uterine contractions at orgasm, which I found quite off-putting and a bit uncomfortable!!!! (you can't please everybody, all of the time :-\) I just have very little sensitivity and dont get that excited feeling anymore... :(

purplenanny

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »

Hi Teapea71
Just caught up with your post and wanted to say welcome. The ladies on here are great and will be very helpful
Your last post(about the sticks) did make me chuckle, you have a good sense of humour! 
I hope things improve soon for you
PN   x  x