Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bioidentical hormones.  (Read 10949 times)

jaydee

Bioidentical hormones.
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »

Hi there,
I'm currently taking Femoston 1/10 after having my prescription reduced from 2/10 by my GP, due to my age.   Problem is, I really can tell it's been reduced and, as I have to work full-time, could do without the tiredness etc.   I've been reading about  bioidentical estrogen and, wondered if any of you had tried it.  Can I use it along with my prescribed HRT and, if so, where do I get it from?   The book i'm getting ideas from is 'The Natural SuperWoman'.

Many thanks
Jaydee

honeybun

Re: Bioidentical hormones.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »

Bio identical hormones are HRT. You can't take them with other HRT.

Utrogestan is the bio identical progesterone. That can be used with any of the oestrogens such as Evorel or oestrogen gel.

If you do a search on the forum then you will see the many many conversations there have been about it.

Honeyb
x

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »

Hi Jaydee,
The estrogen in Femoston is bioidentical estrogen. The progestin, dydrogesterone, is a synthetic progesterone but one of the closest to the hormone produced in our bodies. So in general, Femoston is a preparation that is very close to what our bodies are used to.

Milamam

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »

Hi Jaydee

Totally agree with Milamam.

There seems to be a contradiction here (again doc is wrong, yet another).
Looks like your coming up to that big 60 window that the doc's can't see thru !!!
Even the BMS have stated that no age should be associated with ending or reducing our HRT.
If it does you good and the lower 1/10 is not working - get back on the 2/10 for now.

Also FEMOSTON 2/10 and the 1/10 your on now are sequi HRT's so you'd still have a monthly cycle.
Just surprised the Doc has not offered you a Conti HRT option to help you further???

Age doesn't come into it. You can take your choice of HRT till whatever age you wish. The BMS have now confirmed this.
The only concern is when we start too late ie over 60 before taking any HRT for the first time - the best advice there is start low and build up if you feel its helping that late.

However your not that. Your already successfully using HRT for a long time. So if it works why break it Doc?
The doctor is obliged to take on board your wishes and give you back what you need. It's YOUR choice not theirs.

See the following also for low FEMOSTON CONTI* and other medium options thats closer to your optimal HRT. If you want to go that route.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

If you are happy with the prog with Femoston, and want to try the conti route, then you could still take that FEMOSTON CONTI*.
However you would need a separate 1mg Ellleste solo to make up for the shortfall in Estradiol each day. Mentioned earlier that you can spead the Estrogen part out during the day if you feel a little sweaty overnight. Plus you'd have the benefit of no more monthly :)
Or choose another of the medium conti HRT's instead.

On the bio route its a big change again and from what I've seen on the forum not everyone takes to Utrogestan. I think someone mentioned its supposed to be taken in evening as a lot of people feel drowsy on it.

Please go back and get back to your normal self asap, all the very best for that.
Hope the suggestion on the conti + elleste solo helps too.

:-*

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:46:30 PM by peegeetip »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »

Milamam is absolutely right about Femoston being very natural.
peegeetips is also right and has expressed some good points.
If you are happy on HRt that stick with it.
Good luck DG x

jaydee

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »

Whoop whoop, even better than I expected!!!!  I'm printing off your replies in case I get lost in the meno fog whilst I'm in there.

I love you all!!!!!!!
Jaydee XX

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 02:29:26 PM »

Im on bio identical HRT, have been since I was 40 went over early. Would not give it up for the world! Am on the gel and use Utrogestan which is pure progesterone, not synthetic.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »

jaydee - I have just read through peegeetips last post and I can't quite make sense of what she is suggesting!!!
If you were happy on Femoston 2/10 sequi then stick with it.  You can certainly get Femoston in a conti regime but it is a lower dose  - 1/5 I think. Peegee is suggesting you could just add some extra oestrogen to this I'm afraid you probably can't.  All combined HRTs whether patch or pills are balanced so the right amount of progesterone is included to protect the uterus - if you added extra oestrogen to the Femoston conti the progesterone amount might not work effectively.  Many women choose to stick with the sequi HRT well beyond 60 as they prefer it.
If you do want an alternative 'no bleed' option then you could try the Mirena with Oestrogel or oestrogen patches.  I had the Mirena fitted post meno and used Oestrogel (you can use the amount that keeps your symptoms at bay).  After the first few weeks you don't usually get any bleeding or spotting and the Mirena is keeping your uterus lining thin regardless of the amount of oestrogen you are using.
As Cassie says, Utrogestan is another option but if Femoston suited you - stick with it.
It's a matter of balance - if the HRT is suiting you and giving you a good quality of life then you should be allowed to stay with it provided there are no other health issues preventing this. Good luck  Dg x

jaydee

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »

Have you any idea how many women over 60 continue to take HRT and what dose they take?   My GP has led me to believe, I'll all but, spontaneously combust if I continue with it!!!  He doesn't seem to realise that is just what will happen if he refuses my prescription!!

jaydee

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »

It seems that not much research has been carried out on the effect of HRT on the over 60's. If you have all of the risks explained to you and you still make the decision to carry on then the GP can't refuse to prescribe. My surgery actually get you to sign a declaration - a tiny form really - to say that you've had the stroke, heart disease and (with combined HRT) breast cancer risk explained and you accept these risks.

After 60 patches are recommended as pill form HRT does seem to be linked with increased risk of stroke.

Good luck!!

Taz x x

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »

Have had these two links tucked away

http://www.womens-health-concern.org/help/factsheets/fs_hrtrisksbenefits.html

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/outpatientmanual/menopause-hrt.htm

Conclusion

"HRT can offer many benefits to postmenopausal women. A careful discussion of the risks and benefits of HRT is necessary so each patient can weigh the facts for herself. By considering personal disease-risk factors and potential life saving and quality of life benefits, each patient can then make an informed choice"

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »

Thank you SL.

Taz x