Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My vagifem journey  (Read 16734 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: My vagifem journey
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »

I'm delighted to hear you are doing well with the Vagifem.  You may have to use it for the rest of your life to help prevent further VA but this is fine.  Your GP may "mutter" that you can only use it for 2 years but this is nonsense  - ask for a referral to a gynae if need be to make them continue prescribing it.
Just a thought northwest1965 - if your periods stopped in your early 40s why weren't you put on HRT? It's not surprising you are having VA.  I also think you should have a DEXA scan to check your bones density.  The recommendation is that anyone who experiences a premature menopause as you have had should have HRT until at least 50 to protect the heart and bones. Do you have medical reasons why you couldn't have HRT? Do read up the info under the headings to the left of this screen to find out more. You could still have some low dose HRT to help reduce further long term damage if you wish - even 5 years of HRT through your 50s can bring long term benefits for the heart and bones provided you don't have a close relative with breast cancer or other medical conditions that would prevent the use of HRT. I hope you have a calcium rich diet, do lots of power walking and get plenty of sunshine to help support your bones as osteoporosis is truly nasty? 
I'm surprised about your worry about your hair - oestrogen actually improves the hair - I've not heard about it causing hair loss!!!!!! If your hair is thinning then it could be partly due to the lack of oestrogen.
DG xxx

northwest1965

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

Thanks for the info DG.

I was never offered any HRT or advised to have it. It's not like I haven't been to the doctors infrequently either.

The last doctor I saw was "awful". I could have cried when I left the surgery. I think I will make an appointment to see a female doctor and will ask to have a DEXA.

I have natural yoghurt every day and veg. I will make sure for now I up my intake of calcium rich foods.

Have been for a 2mile power walk today. I don't do them that often as I spend a lot of time vegetable gardening.

I googled Vagifem and hair loss, apparently it can be a side effect?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:57 PM »

I really don't think hair loss is a common side affect - you must remember that the information leaflet with Vagifem is more or less the same as you would get with full systemic HRT so side effects etc are really far less likely with Vagifem as so little is absorbed systemically.  Don't worry - my hair was always thicker and healthier when I was on HRT.
Keep up the good diet - walking and gardening are great for maintaining the bones - do take Vitamin D in the winter though.
It is World Menopause Day in October and there has just been a post all about it under 'Events' on this Forum.
Here is the link http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25545.0.html

If you click on this link:  http://www.imsociety.org/world_menopause_month.php - you can read the latest recommendations regarding the menopause.

It is not too late for you to start HRT (they call it MHT in this report) and hopefully gain all the preventative benefits it can offer.  Using HRT is a personal choice and you may feel you don't want to go down this route - that is absolutely fine. 
I personally think your GPs have been negligent in not, at least, offering you HRT - in fact they should have been actively recommending you take it. I had a premature meno in my mid 30s and my GP simply said to me "if I was her daughter she would insist I take HRT".
If I was you I'd go in with stuff printed off from this site and calmly ask them why you weren't appropriately treated for premature menopause?!! Ask them should you be concerned about heart decease, osteoporosis and colon cancer because you have been oestrogen deficient all this time? If they quote the 2002 trials and witter on about breast cancer risk - give them a copy of the report I have given you above which states that the findings in 2002 have been largely discredited.
Here is the link on this site that outlines the recommendations regarding the treatment of premature Menopause:  http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pm-management.php.  Do explain that this site has been set up by a gynaecologist, Dr Currie, who is part of the team setting up the new NICE guidelines to come out in 2015.
I am not saying you should go on HRT because that is your choice but I am angry on your behalf that your were not given the right advice and treatment - I feel your GPs need to know they have not been doing their job properly :bang:. So sorry to have a rant - you have had a raw deal.  I so pleased you are feeling better around your lady parts. 
DG xxxxx
Pages: 1 [2]