Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: my menopause story  (Read 2629 times)

babyjane

my menopause story
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »

I don't know when I started menopause due to a hysterectomy at 38 so I had no bleeding to judge things by. Looking back now I think my oestrogen levels could have been dropping for a while after reading peri meno symptoms in posts here. I had been getting grumpier, more volatile and my weight had increased and sex drive getting less. Strange things were happening inthe nether reasons too but again, I did not know about such things.

When I had my first night sweat 5 years ago I couldn't understand it because I didn't know such things happened. I thougth I had wet the bed but although my PJ bottoms were soaking the bed was dry. I guess I only realised the menopause with the arrival of my first hot flush. Then there was no doubting the cause. I tried some HRT for a while but found I felt worse so I decided to try without unless things got too bad. The only thing I couldn't tolerate was what I now know to be vaginal atrophy. Everything shrivelled up, dried up and was always sore with endless thrush and utis and sexual relations was impossible. I got sick of Canesten and Trimethoprim. One day I went to the out of hours clinic with another UTI and the Dr there was wonderful, explained all about VA and how it also dried out the urethra making you think you wanted to go when you didn't and it wasn't always an infection.

I have a lovely lady GP who gave me Vagifem to try and after the first few weeks things settled down nicely and got more comfortable. That was 4 years ago and from then and till now I have not needed treatment for thrush or a uti since  :)

Lately I have noticed things getting a little easier. The flushes are less often, usually late evening and early morning, and are less intense. I don't use Magicool spray any more. The only thing that's still a nuisance is the anxiety but since reading and then joining this forum, knowing that it is a common symptom makes me feel better about it and I hope that in time that will push off as well. By the time I am 60 I am hoping that things will be better than they have been all through my 50s but reading posts here I realise this is not guaranteed. Some ladies seem to struggle much more and for longer but having somewhere to share things really seems to help.

Thanks for listening.  BJ x

Rowan

Re: my menopause story
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »

Lovely post babyjane and other ladies will be helped by it  :)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »

Nice post BabyJane and good to know that things are improving for you. :)

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »

I didn't want other ladies to think I am making light of things if they are having a bad time but I wanted them to know that things can improve. I will never be the same and some days things are still difficult but menopause can make you feel so bad for so long I just wanted to say sometimes it can start to get a bit better  :)

Claireylou

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »

Thank you for your post babyjane. It's helped me lots xxx