Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 9215 times)

robotwars

Mirena coil
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »

Hi! I just wondered if you could give me some advice, I'm 49 years old and my periods are all over the place and very heavy, at the moment I'm coming on for about 10 days with only a couple of weeks in between and it is very heavy which is making me anaemic, I went to see my GP who recommended I try the mirena coil but I have read some many bad reviews now I'm scaring myself. Has anyone else had this and did you try the mirena coil, did it work. I have also been told by people at work that if I have this I cant have anything to help with other menopause symptoms,  at the moment I also have hot flushes and I just ache so much and feel so tired but this could be down to my lack of iron. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

dulciana

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »

Robotwars - I had a mirena coil fitted four years ago, for pretty much the same reasons as you.  It's been fine, it calmed my periods down a lot before they finally stopped.  I'm not on HRT because of risk factors but this hasn't stopped me taking other remedies with no ill effect.  One year to go until I have it removed and no problems to speak of.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »

I had a Mirena post meno for 4 years and used oestrogen gel to relieve flushes etc.  Its actually a very good combination for many women. In peri stage I believe it can really help with heavy periods and of cause gives contraception at the same time. If you are getting flushes etc now you could start with just a little gel (perhaps one pump per day)and as you get further into menopause you can increase as needed.  DG x

robotwars

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

Thanks for your replies, just a quick update, I have been back to my GP who has said he would recommend Prempak (HRT) instead and has asked me to do a 2 month trial and see what I think? if I'm not happy then I can have the mirena coil. Has anyone else ever been prescribed this? I'm not sure what to do now, I have also started taking evening primrose oil to see if that helps! Do I take the prempak C or not? I don't know, I'm so confused!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:50:59 PM by robotwars »

Lady D

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »

Sorry never taken hrt so can't comment but have had a mirena coil for painful but not heavy periods.  Worked a treat as periods stopped :)  I would personally recommend trying it but that's not to say it works for all.

Am considered having another one fitted to see if it helps with meno symptoms.

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

Thanks for your reply, my doctor recommended taking the HRT and prescribed Prempak C, so I took it but I have had terrible headaches, feeling sickly and stomach cramps, I haven't even made it through the first month, I telephoned the doctors for advice and he has recommended stopping the HRT and seeing if the symptoms settle, I'm so confused, Aaghhh!!!! What a nightmare....

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

Hi robotwars- I have the mirena and use sandrena gel for the estrogen.
I've had no problems with this combination.

Mrs January

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »

Hi Robotwars

I have a second Mirena in now after the first one removed.....i take oestrogen 2mgs as well all ok, no periods and all fine

Mrs January xxx

robotwars

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »

Hi January
I am seeing my doctor on Friday and I'm going to ask about having the mirena fitted. Just a quick question did you have it fitted through your doctors surgery as I was told I could go to the family planning clinic and have it fitted which would be a shorter waiting time, also is it painful to have it fitted? Did you need to take any time of work? Sorry for all the questions?

Mrs January

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

Hey

I went to the GP, family planning sounds better as they do more of them and can be quicker. First one was no prob, second she said after the event did I want local, I say no as I am a nurse......Yes I should have had it, our uterus shrinks with meno etc so can be harder to insert the coil !!! go for local if you can....no time off work I went straight back to work...just have a painkiller before you have it fitted... I wouldn't be without mine now xxx

robotwars

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »

Hi! I went to my GP and he prescribed cerazette (mini Pill) He said it had same ingredient as mirena coil and if I got on ok, then he would say to have the mirena fitted. I'm not sure whether I should take it or just try again for the mirena so I can have the gel with it!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »

What your GP has suggested seems logical so maybe give it a go?
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »

I agree with Dancinggirl. It's easier to stop taking a pill if the progesterone doesn't agree than having the Mirena removed.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

Hi robotwars

I looked up Cezarette and it contains Desogestrel (haven't heard of this) but the Mirena contains Levonorgestrel so they are actually different but according to the web it says the differences for the person taking it are undetectable. I think you posed this question on another thread where I answered that taking something as a pill is different from having it applied directly to the uterus, where systemic absorption would be much less and supposed to be minimal.

So - you might experience bad side effects with the Cezarette and decide against the Mirena but you might be OK with the lower doses absorbed through the Mirena?

By all means do as your doc suggests - but don't necessarily be put off the Mirena if you have side effects. As Taz and Dancginggirl say - you can always stop the pill, and if the side effects are severe this would indicate maybe the Mirena isn;t advisable!

Hurdity x