Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: DM article - depression/estrogen gel  (Read 4305 times)

Night_Owl

DM article - depression/estrogen gel
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »

The revolutionary rub-on hormone gel that can banish depression and transform the lives of countless women

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2708901/Revealed-The-hormone-gel-banish-depression-women-Its-revolutionary-discovery-lives-countless-women-currently-given-antidepressants-transformed-using-simple-rub-gel-instead.html#ixzz38qVQp9Kn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There is no mention in this article that if you use estrogen gel peri/post-meno that you should take protective progesterone to prevent build up of endometrial lining.

Cassie

Re: DM article - depression/estrogen gel
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »

You wouldnt need to use the progesterone as you are still having monthly bleeds, its only once your periods stop that you have to keep the womb lining thin by artificial means so to speak. Very interesting article thx.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »

Not sure what to make of it. All of the comments are from women who are using progesterone not oestrogen?

As for not needing progesterone if still having periods - if this was the case then surely if we started HRT while still having periods we would only need oestrogen but you do need to use a sequi HRT which includes progesterone for the last two weeks of the cycle.

Taz x

Night_Owl

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »

Agree - not sure what to make of the comments from those using progesterone.  I never understand progesterone's role if estrogen deficiency is the problem - doesn't progesterone oppose estrogen and reduce its effectiveness.

Taz, have you had your hyster, was it keyhole surgery and how are you feeling?  So this means you can use estrogen only patch now?

Night_Owl
x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:21:38 PM »

Yes I had it three weeks ago. I'm doing ok. Very difficult not being allowed to do anything though. Not so good today - bit of an upset stomach and feel hot and cold. It may be a bug I suppose but will keep an eye on things just in case there is an infection going on somewhere.

I will be able to have oestrogen only as long as I can persuade the doc to keep prescribing it for me now I'm sixty!

Taz x

tiger74

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »

Article was in the Daily Mail - 'nuf said!

I gave up reading health-related newspaper articles long ago.   

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »

"This unique, multi-professional clinic, led by Dr Craig and Dr Mike Marsh, a gynaecologist based at King's College Hospital, will assess and treat women who have mental health problems at times of hormonal fluctuation"

also

"John Studd, a former consultant gynaecologist at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital and professor of gynaecology at Imperial College, was the man who identified the co-existence of these three types of depression (linked to a woman's period, childbirth and before the menopause), and named it Reproductive Depression" 

There are lots of different takes on what causes it and how to treat it, the above article suggests estrogen gel

Here is another which suggest progesterone is the answer

http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/depresshor.html

It is not a random report, we have talked an awful lot on MM about ladies who have  problems with depression and whether they are due to hormone fluctuations and what is the best treatment.

Also it is based on women who still have menstrual cycle. if you are presribed estrogen gel mainly for depression in menopause you would automatically be prescribed progesterone if you have not had a hysterectomy.

The point of the comments was that some women found progesterone did the trick and others estrogen, maybe a case of women doing it for themselves and finding their own solutions.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:07:30 PM by silverlady »

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »

But Tazz, you wouldnt be starting HRT if your periods were regular :) hope you feeling better x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:07 PM »

Mine were regularly every few months  ;D  You did say "it's only when your periods stop" so I was just making the point that you don't have to wait for HRT until you are totally period-free. Am feeling better thanks - still very bored though - can't wait to get back to normal living again!

Taz x

2cats

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »

Very interesting article..I have often suffered with chronic PMT and yet when pregnant have felt wonderfully calm and "normal" (and this wasn't due to the fact I was overjoyed at being pregnant as it was all very much a shock).  I have mentioned this several times to drs hoping that this would signal something hormone related but no such luck!  After I gave birth I had depression for nearly 3 months. 
My next pregnancy saw a very happy me emerge again and no depression afterwards.
Peri-menopause (we now know I had this) in my mid 30s also brought many problems culminating in a meltdown a few years ago.
If only someone had taken the issue of my hormones seriously, I could have spared my family (and my own sanity) many days of grumpiness, tears and tantrums.
I always bloody knew I was under the influence of hormones as opposed to being an erratic cow as part of my general personality!   :(