Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What happens to my own hormonal cycle when I use HRT?  (Read 4160 times)

SueRoe

What happens to my own hormonal cycle when I use HRT?
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »

I've been on HRT (Evorel Sequi) for 4 months. For the first 3 months I felt gradually better, ie headaches disappeared; anxiety, grumpiness and apathy largely gone; sleeping better; but for the last month I've slipped back into these symptoms. I don't know if my own hormone levels are slipping away underneath the HRT and have dropped to a point where the HRT is no longer topping me up enough. Does anyone with more experience of all this know what happens to our own failing, erratic cycle and hormones when we use HRT? Does the HRT override our cycle or do we end up with 2 out-of-sync cycles (one natural and one HRT) bumping along together, occasionally clashing and occasionally supporting each other? After the initial feeling of yippee I'm feeling disappointed that the improvement might have been a flash in the pan...

Dancinggirl

Re: What happens to my own hormonal cycle when I use HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »

Hi and welcome SueRoe
Through the peri menopause stage your own hormones will fluctuate so symptoms will emerge if there is a dip in oestrogen even when you are using HRT.
Your own hormone levels will continue to drop throughout the peri stage even if you are taking HRT - it's just you won't know when your periods actually stop.
You are right that your own hormone levels will influence things and you will continue to experience fluctuations until you are post menopause.
There are many HRT options - do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and I think you may find a lot of answers.
Get back to us with questions.  Keep posting. DG x

SueRoe

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »

Thanks for your reply Dancinggirl. Yes I'm ploughing my way through the info on the left - there's so much to get your head around when you're new to HRT. What an excellent resource this is!

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »

Hi SueRoe,

Not certain, but the differences in the way you feel may be affected by the type of hormone in the Evorel Sequi at different stages. You may feel better on the oestrogen only patches rather than those which contain the progesterone as well. Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along soon.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:33:50 PM by Limpy »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »

Limpy - unless you have had a hysterectomy you have to have progesterone in your HRT to protect your uterus -  although you do make a good point about the type of HRT - there are many to try.
SueRoe - it is rather daunting at first but persevere and you will become far more clued up and able to cope.  DG x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »

Dancinggirl - I thought some of the Evorel Sequi patches did just contain oestrogen. The following is from Netdoctor.

"Evorel sequi is a hormone replacement therapy (HRT) preparation. It consists of two types of patches: Evorel 50 patches, which contain estradiol hemihydrate (previously spelt oestradiol hemihydrate in the UK) and Evorel conti patches, which contain estradiol hemihydrate and norethisterone acetate"

I know some of the Evorel Sequi patches do contain progesterone, the Evorel conti ones, which are taken in the last two weeks. It seems reasonable that people could feel different on the two types of patches which are used within Evorel Sequi.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »

Limpy - yes, some of the patches in Sequi HRT will contain just oestrogen which you use for part of the month and then there will be some that have oestrogen and progesterone as you need to have some progesterone to trigger a withdrawal bleed to prevent the womb lining from becoming too thick. If you have a uterus you can't use oestrogen alone. You can get patches in conti form which are oestrogen and progesterone continuously.
You are absolutely right that certain types of progesterone can bring side effects so it's about finding the rigth HRT combination that suits you.  DG x

bev567901

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »

I cannot answer your question as I would like to
know the answer too. I am on the same patches as you & I actually feel better on the second stage which is when everyone says the worst side effects are. Makes no sense. I am just hoping that as we get further into peri/meno things will even out & we will reach a sort of steady balanced stage like the old us so to speak. B xx

SueRoe

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »

bev567901 - I hope too that we'll reach a sort of "steady state" like we had before this hormonal chaos descended - it's like  puberty all over again! I think we just need to be kind to ourselves and each other in the meantime.

bev567901

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »

I agree, it has to all go back to normal one day surely or a new normal. B x