Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It does get better...  (Read 6332 times)

Ju Ju

Re: It does get better...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

What a good idea! Labels do make a difference to other people's perception. For example, I had to to have plastic surgery done on my stomach after 2 large babies. It was considered an absolute necessity for both my physical and emotional health. Soon after we moved and I had to get some after care from my new GP, who was very sniffy about my having had such an operation. Recently, I heard this operation referred to as restorative surgery, not plastic surgery. It gives a whole different picture and does away with prejudice and ignorance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

It's known as 'the change' …………

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »

We change at puberty - when we get info probably from school in preparation? Then if we are lucky we have friends who can symptahtise with everything we come up against in our college/working lives; period pains, anti-natal, childcare etc.;  then we reach 'the change' to find that we can feel very alone. 

A term for those ladies who have long-term problems is a good idea - rather than blanket us all together.  Recognising that variations at this time is important!

Dippie

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »

Absolutely. Names make a big difference. I can accept the fact that I have health anxiety and check in with others who understand before I buy every crazy product somebody thinks they can make money off of, but I would be too ashamed of being a hypochondriac to tell anyone.

I can joke about not wanting to leave the house and trade links for places that offer free shipping and recipes that don't call for key ingredients we might run out of, but I would feel that I was not fit to raise a child if I was agoraphobic.

Words have power.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »

Power is useful.  Sometimes.

Fullmoon

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 05:53:54 AM »

I agree with Stella - hypo-oestrogenic? I started to come to terms with my experiences when I stopped believing that I would 'get better' and somehow return to how I was before I went into perimenopause and started to view what as I had as a chronic condition which had periods of (increasingly longer) remission with periods in which the condition would flare up.  With this lens I find those periods of flare up much easier to deal with because (a) I know they won't last and (b) I have strategies to cope with them - just as you would with any long term condition and (c) it means that it is legitimate for me to continue to take, albeit in a low dose, hrt.  Whenever I have shared this insight with any medical person however they have looked at me as if I have two heads - which fortunately is not a symptom of the condition! 

CKLD I can't remember what my previous names were (I've had at least 2 over the years) but I am immensely grateful to Heather Currie for having established this site and this forum - which has helped me enormously over a long time.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »

<wave> …….. as the internet grows so will support groups!  It is nice to be medic-led here …….. if only all medics would take note that quality of Life is important.  That the leaflets inside the medication packets should not be taken to heart  ::) and that ladies know their bodies and would like relaxation about what age to stop various treatments, that symptoms are not age-related!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]