Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Symptoms returned!  (Read 2588 times)

ljack1

Symptoms returned!
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

Hi all you knowledgeable ladies out there!

I have been on Femoston 1/10 for about 4 months and it has been suiting me fairly well.  At the same time, I have been on Mirtazapine (an AD) for the past 6 months which one GP prescribed for anxiety & insomnia.  However, this GP has since left the practice and 4 weeks ago my new GP said that she didn't know why I had been prescribed this particular AD and advised me to wean myself off slowly since I was feeling well.  This I have done slowly.

However, in the past week, I have started to have my old peri symptoms - palpitations, anxiety, extremely itchy skin which wakes me during the night and horrendous night sweats.  I can also feel myself withdrawing again and becoming a hermit.

I am wondering if perhaps I need a higher dose of HRT - perhaps Femoston 2/10?  My 50th birthday is approaching in 2 weeks, I'm having a huge party, and I don't know if I'll be able to face anyone!

Does anyone have any experience?  Grateful for any replies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Symptoms returned!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »

If only GPs would a) read our notes and b) discuss why with the patient  :bang: :bang: :bang:

You were prescribed the meds because they were required!  This hot weather can play havoc with how we feel.  As can a shift in hormones.  It's always surprises me how ill I can soon feel when symptoms return!  I know all the while that I can feel ill but the physicality of it  >:(

Have a read of menus, left of screen.  Make a list and re-visit your surgery, either the GP or Practice Nurse.  Ask to go through the symptoms with a view to them being hormonally based - I find that the anxiety cripples me so that is the most important issue to sort.

Prioritise what you require and work through the list.  You have added pressure with the Party so a short course of Valium might be worth having to hand.

Let us know how you get on!

ljack1

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply CLKD.  I agree with you - the anxiety is horrible and I find it really hard to cope with. Especially since I've had a few months of no anxiety or palpitations.  I'm really disillusioned with GP's.  Before the last year, I rarely visited a doctor - in the last year, I seem to be there all the time!  And feel guilty when I do go so often which is completely irrational!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

:ange:   Guilty or afraid that you won't be listened to?  Remember 'we' pay their wages!

I can be crippled by anxiety in less than 10 mins..  :'( meaning that I can't eat, function, think straight …….. GP gave me beta-blockas in 2002 after years of taking Valium on an 'as necessary' basis.  Add to that an emergency drug for instant use should it get out of hand ……..

Browse round!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »

Hi ljack - Do you think that you have withdrawn the Mirtazapine too quickly? One of withdrawal symptoms is itchy skin. There is a lot on the internet about how to withdraw from this drug and lots of people mention that they have to take an antihistamine to calm the skin so that might be something you want to try.

Taz x  :)

ljack1

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:43:27 AM »

Hi Taz2 - I think you are probably right.  I took an antihistamine last night.  Still woke up with palpitations though.  I'll have a browse around.  Many thanks.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »

I hope you're feeling better today. The antihistamine should help with the itching but wont make any difference to any other withdrawal symptoms.

It could be that you do need a higher dose of HRT - I had heart palpitations before starting HRT - so it could be that you are dealing with two different things here.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Taz x