Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Retsina  (Read 5834 times)

dulciana

Retsina
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »

Has anyone ever tried Greek retsina wine?  It's a savoury, sort-of resinated wine that goes absolutely brilliantly with cheese, savoury snacks and Mediterranean food.  To me, it's like a pine forest in a glass......Mmmm!  ::)   What do other people think?   

Rowan

Re: Retsina
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

OH loves it, but says it doesn't travel and is best drank when in Greece, to be honest I am not a fan of it, but then I don't like alcohol much ::)

He loves Ouzo too  the stuff that goes milky when you add water, I don't like that either, but I just love anything else Greek ;)

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »

I think it does travel, Silverlady - I get mine from the shelves of a certain well-known supermarket  ::)

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »

Think he means that its best drunk in Greece under a Greek sky and everything Greek where you can smell the resin from the trees, he says that when he perspired in Greece he could smell the resin after drinking it and it was not the same drinking it back home, nothing to do with quality you can get here.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »

The only time I drunk Retsina it was many years ago in Greece. Sadly I wasn't too impressed, it just reminded me of pine disinfectant.  ::)

Did manage the dry white Domestica quite happily though  8)

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »

Silverlady - ah, I see what you mean - the Greek retsina experience!    8)

Limpy - fair enough.  Each to their own.    :)

bramble

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »

I think it is the same as a lot of things you drink when abroad. Buying it when you get home does not capture the whole experience of drinking it under blue skies etc etc...............

Bramble