Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and bloating  (Read 12183 times)

one year in

Vagifem and bloating
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »

Hello ladies,

Has anyone experienced serious bloating problems with Vagifem?  I have just called my gynaecologist and she has told me to stop taking it immediately and if the bloating has not gone down in 10 days to 2 weeks I must visit.  TBH that has worried me a bit.

I have been on Vagifem 25mg (that's what we get in Greece).  I took it for a month once a day, then continued for three months with one a week.  Gyn then told me to continue once a week for another three months but I am so bloated and uncomfortable.  My breasts were also a bit swollen (I told the gyn about that and she said it's normal) and now I am having trouble going to the toilet.

Has anyone else had severe bloating with Vagifem and if so, how long does it take to go down?

Not sure what the next step will be.  I am very sad because the Vagifem was doing its job so well and I felt so much better to begin with :(

Thanks for your input. xx

PaulineW

Re: Vagifem and bloating
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »

Hi hyacinth I have just been prescribed vagifem but only 10 micrograms hopefully it will work I'm doing every other night for three weeks then twice a week 😊 . Going back to the doctors after to see how I'm getting on . Anyone else out there finds this works ? Feeling very low at the moment as I can't take hrt x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »

The initial 2-3week load up is designed to build up the wall of the vagina so there will be virtually no systemic absorption after that.  Feeling bloated, stomach cramps, even some slight spotting is quite normal at first. I found the fillers of Vagifem, Ovestin and Gynest really irritated things, so I now use the Estring. When treating vaginal atrophy and bladder issues it can take time for it to work. I was getting particularly problems with burning and it took over 6 months before things improved.
So my message is - be patient. The low dose Vagifem, which is now standard, is often too low for many women and they have to use it 2-4 times a week to keep things healthy around the lady bits.
PaulineW - the instructions say every night for the first 2 weeks so it's important to follow this.
Hyacinth - I expect the bloating will settle down once you've finished the 2 week load.
Good luck ladies - keep us posted about your progress.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:10 PM »

Let us know how you get on!   

PaulineW

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »

Hi Dancingirl these were the doctors instructions so I'm following what she's said . Thanks for advice though will keep you posted 😊 xx

one year in

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:31:34 AM »

Thanks ladies.  DG I've already done the 'load up' and was into month four of weekly doses and it's only been in the last couple of weeks that I've had the bloating.  My belly is very extended so I don't think it's right.  Since you don't have the 25mg in the UK I suspect that it must be very strong.  We don't have the 10mg tablet here - yet.  Interesting to hear about the 'fillers' - I will ask the gyn if there is anything else I can try. Good luck Pauline, I hope it works for you. xx to all.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

Sudden bloatedness needs to be investigated sooner rather than later. 

one year in

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »

CLKD I told the gyn about the bloating over the phone and she told me to stop taking the vagifem immediately and to go and see her at the surgery if the bloating hasn't gone down in about 10 days.  I must admit that worried me a bit and that's why I wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »

Are U able to have a telephone chat about her reasoning prior to the appt.?  I suspect she may be concerned about ovarian cancer.  If so she may suggest an ultra-scan or a particular blood test, more details can be found on the UK Ovacom charity.  That's how I landed here  ::) by following a Link as a member of the charity though not a sufferer.

Let us know how the bloating goes, I was bloated because of IBS  >:( so it may be the reason for your dis-comfort.  Keep a food diary too?