Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT v Herbal  (Read 4762 times)

Lizziep

HRT v Herbal
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »

Morning Ladies,

I've been on and off of HRT for about a year now.
Most recently I've been on Evori Conti but I had very heavy bleeding.
After discussing it with my doctor, he said to come off it as I was due to go on holiday and the bleeding was also erratic.

I had a scan last month as I've had fibroids in the past, but everything looked normal. The doctor thought this could be the reason for the bleeding.

I've been back on the patches now for 2 weeks. The sweating is horrendous and I'm lucky if I get 2 hours sleep at a time. Does the hot weather affect the sweating? I know I've got to give it a couple more weeks to feel the full advantages.

Also my partner has decided that the patches are no good. I've tried to explain to him that they need time to kick in. But he's decided that herbal pills  are the way forward. He's ordered some off of the internet which I received yesterday. I had no idea he was ordering these.

What do you think about taking herbal pills? Are they any good, do they work?

I'm upset that he can't leave me to decide what I think is best for me and my body but I feel I have to take these pills as he's paid out for them. They can't be used with HRT so I've got to come off the patches and leave it for 10 days before I start taking the pills.

Feeling very low at the moment and stuck between a rock and a hard place  :(

Have a good day,

Lizziep

Joyce

Re: HRT v Herbal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »

Herbal pills never worked for me. However, I have been taking starflower capsules with 250mg GLA. They have helped me as I reduce my HRT. I ran out recently & thought I'd be fine without them, but no, so bought some more. Only 2/3 flushes per day. I'm only using half a 25 mg patch, these days.

Lizziep

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »

Thanks for answering cubagirl.

Funnily enough I brought some Evening Primrose with Starflower in the week. I read that they can be good.

I think half the reason for these bad flushes at the moment is stress caused by my partner and what he's doing  :-\

Thanks again,

Lizziep

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »

It's your body and your choice. You can't take something just to please someone else. Herbal will not sort out hot flushes unfortunately. If they did the GP would prescribe them.

You have a couple of choices. You can tell your partner it's not possible to take off a patch mid cycle......never a good idea. Or lie to him.

It's really not fair that you are being put in this position.

Patches usually work quickly for flushes. Perhaps you need something stronger. You could always experiment by adding an extra bit of patch and if that works go back to your GP for the stronger patches.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

:kick: for your partner time he was read the riot act, you do not want hassle when you need support!

If herbal worked they would be on the NHS (however, OrthoGynest worked for me <sigh>  :-\ )
Evening primrose and sunflower capsules can ease some symptoms of some conditions but be aware that herbal/alternatives can interfere with prescribed medication!

Thanks Honeybun! nice and clear.

Lizziep

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

Thank you ladies for replying.

They aren't herbal as such but made from mung beans.

Has anybody used these?

Still annoyed that he ordered them without even mentioning it to me  :-\

Lizziep

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »

Lizziep - Your partner does not appear to be offering you any useful support.

HRT patches help many ladies with sweats, anxiety and sleeping problems. However they do take time to kick in and work. They should not be removed on any whim, especially not that of your partner.

Ok he ordered the mung pills, you do not have to take them.

I hesitate to say this, but he doesn't sound like an asset.
Is he always like this, how long have you been with him?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »

Mung beans help in what way?  We grow them in the airing cupboard to stir fry  ::)

tiger74

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »

I guess it's the 'power' of the phytoestrogen in mung beans on which any claims might be based.

Personally I wouldn't take anything bought on the internet.  How do you know under what conditions these pills were manufactured?

As has already been pointed out ... some caution should be exercised when taking untested unprescribed pills because of potential interactions with other medication and discontinuing current treatment on an ad hoc basis without medical advice seems unwise too.

Lizziep

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »

Good morning ladies and once again, thank you so much for your replies   :)

Limpy, that's his way of supporting me even though it's a heavy handed approach. In his eyes the HRT isn't working so he's found an alternative. I don't live with him so he doesn't see me all the time but he's made his mind up that his choice is the way forward.
I've been with him nearly 4 years. He likes things done his way but he'll say that it's me that does. I see it as a bit controlling and I'm really not comfortable with it. But if I question it he gets all moody and sulks for hours if not days.
I know if I say I'm not taking the tablets there will be another fall out between us and I really haven't got the energy for that at the moment, too hot and bothered in this heat :sunny:
Not painting a very good picture of him am I.

tiger74, I agree with you about buying medication off of the internet. Personally I wouldn't do it for myself and certainly not for anyone else without asking them first. I take pills for my bloodpressure so have to be fairly cautious even when taking over the counter flu and cold products. To be honest I was really surprised when they turned up in the post as he knows my view on that type of thing. It's different going in the local chemist and buying stuff off the shelf, I haven't got a problem with that at all.

CLKD, thanks for the advice. If I decide not to take them I'll throw them in the wok  ;D

Have a good day and stay cool if possible  :sweatdrop:

Lizziep

Dana

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:27 AM »

I would just tell your partner whatever he wants to hear, but do what you want to do. As you've said you don't live together he's not going to know if you're taking his tablets or not.

As someone else said, if you symptoms aren't getting better maybe you just need to increase your dose. I would personally try that, rather than take something herbal, because I know from personal experience that stuff just does not work if you have more severe symptoms.

Frankly, if any partner of mine did what he did I would have thrown the stuff back at him and told him to take them himself if he thought they were so great - but then I don't like being manipulated or told what to do by anyone. Maybe that's why I'm now single..lol...

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »

Some men think they are helping by 'treating' their women  ::) - it took several years before DH got the idea of which 'posh' knickers are comfortable and that I won't wear a pair for only a short while .........  ;)   ::) - they have 2 B suitable for all day!

Why are you 2-gether?  Old habits die hard, at least you don't be 2-gether 24/7!  If my man or friends sulked they would be out of my Life!  ...

I would have a chat with your prescribing GP to C if an extra dose will help!  Let us know!