Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2265 times)

mab1965

« on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at the forum postings for a little while but haven't found the courage to post until today. First of all I'd like to say how much I have appreciated the wealth of information, support and upliftment available on this site. I have found it invaluable and comforting.

I have been perimenopausal for about 2 years now and my symptoms at the moment are mainly night sweats and awful emotional upset. Its tough at the moment because at 48, I also have a teenage daughter with severe anxiety and phobic issues for which she has thankfully started to receive treatment and an 86 year old Mother-in-Law who lives alone, 130 miles away and is ill with near kidney failure. We, my hubby, myself and daughter are the only family and I don't think she has long. Suffice to say I feel all over the place with it all and would like to know if anyone else can empathise?

Its not that I desire misery as company you understand, but just that someone else might have been where I am and can understand. It would be nice to know that you got through it. I'd like to think that I will too but some days, especially with DD, seem really tough. I take 1000mg of omega 3's and 6's and am contemplating St John's Wort but being sensitive, I can't tolerate SSI's too well. Don't really want to go there if I'm being truthful. Thankfully I am having therapy and it is helpful.

I hope you don't mind my honesty.

Love to you all. X

Limpy

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »

Hi Mab1965

Nobody will mind your honesty, that's why we come here.
I'me sure you've seen that several ladies on the forum have dealings with families.
You are not alone.

BTW - Welcome to the forum

:welcomemm:

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

:welcomemm:

From me too.

Yes there are lots of us who have had awkward teens (I could write a small novel) and elderly parents.

You are most certainly not alone.

It helps to share sometimes.

Are you taking anything to help with your quite early meno. HRT is generally advisable at your age to help prevent osteoporosis, heart disease and VA.
If you have any questions then we will try to help.

Honeyb

mab1965

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »

Thanks for you thoughts and support Limpy and Honeybun. It's really good to knowthat I'm not alone.

No Honeybun, I'm not taking HRT. When I had my blood test just over 2 years ago and it came back positive for perimeno, she just said, " if things get rough come back to me."

To be honest, I'm sensitive to meds and so avoid them when I can. Also, I didn't know that HRT was an option at this stage. Mind you my moods have been a bit scary lately. Feeling desperately low. Can HRT make a difference to that? I can stand the night sweats but not feeling like life has no meaning and feeling terrified all of the time is awful.

Julie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »

:welcomemm:  ……..   :bighug:

What support is your Mother in Law getting if she lives at home?  Does she have a good GP, carers; have her local Agencies been contacted, i.e. MacMillan can give good advice as can the various dementia charities - AgeUK have lots of good leaflets in their Charity shops too.

I understand totally how soul destroying phobia and anxiety can be.  Phobia ruled my Life from the age of 3  :'( and although on medication which helps symptoms, it doesn't take long to rock my emotional boat  :-\

Have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Browse round, we have lots of info and encouragement here!

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »

Yes at your age HRT is advisable to prevent problems further down the line.
It's a very personal choice though and lots of women choose not to take it.

It would help you cope a bit better though. Some women are offerered AD's when hormones are needed although both have their place.

Maybe visit your GP for a chat. As CLKD says have a look at all the information in the menu and then you will be well informed when you go to your doctor.

Honeyb
x

mab1965

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »

Thank you honeybun, Limpy and CLKD. I have taken your suggestions on board and will get in touch with my doc. Mum is getting support from social services and her doc thankfully. Its just hard to watch her go downhill and not to be able to do anything about it but as you say, at this age a lot of us go through this with elderly parents.

CLKD, I'm quite sensitive too, so is my daughter. Always have been. Thanks for being willing to share.
I really appreciate your thoughts and kindnesses folks. Off to make that appointment. Better day today. Hope it is for you too.

Hugs to you all.

Julie. X x X