Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello from a newbie needing help!  (Read 3212 times)

lillidiamond

Hello from a newbie needing help!
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »

Hi everyone.
It's been good finding you.
I hadn't intended to post much but here I am at 12.45am with the alarm on for 6.30 for work, having had 3 nights of seriously interrupted sleep yet again. Really feeling weepy and sick with tiredness.
I am 49 and had a total hysterectomy 9 months ago with ovaries removed and I hardly know who I am some of the time. So many weird symptoms. Have a doc appointment tomorrow. He's really sympathetic but not keen on HRT even though the hospital consultant recommended it. I think I might just beg this time but I mostly I think I should try to get by without it.
I want my life back!!!
When does it start to feel better??? Thanks for listening

Taz2

Re: Hello from a newbie needing help!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »

Hi lilli - you will find lots of help and advice on here.

You will have been plunged straight into menopause with the removal of your ovaries and it seems really daft that you weren't offered any HRT. Sometimes, if a women is almost at meno age, then it is thought unnecessary but you only have to read on this forum about women's different experiences of menopause to see that for some women HRT isn't necessary and for others HRT makes such a difference to their lives.

This is the advice from the menu on the left of the screen http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

I would say stick to your guns and ask for HRT. Arm yourself with knowledge from here before you go - print off anything you think relevant. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »

Hi there. I agree with Taz, do ask for HRT. It makes such a difference. True it's not for everyone. I'm on oestrogen patches nowadays. Had hysterectomy over 20 years ago, ovaries didn't come out then, but did 10 years later. I took an HRT break a few years back & was miserable. Constantly exhausted. Flushes & sweats umpteen times a day & night.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »

Hi and welcome lillidiamond
Your GP is a silly, silly person. Of course you need oestrogen.  At 49 your need oestrogen to protect your heart and bones. Do not beg - it was recommended by the consultant and your GP should be following these instructions.
I agree with what all the others have said - go for it girl.
Read up all the stuff on this site and print things out if need be.
Simply tell the GP that you don't want to develop heart decease and osteoporosis and the meno symptoms are unbearable - you have been plunged into premature menopause and you need a life. All the horrible meno symptoms you must be having can be helped with HRT.  The risk of breast cancer with oestrogen treatment - which is all you need because you no longer have a uterus- is virtually nil.
Keep us posted.  DG x

lillidiamond

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »

Thanks all of you for the advice. It's really helpful.
I wish I'd thought of the heart disease risk before my appointment - it's in my family.
Anyway, my GP wants me to try propranolol (beta blocker) first and if that doesn't work then a low dose antidepressant. He really wants HRT to be a last resort. I'm guessing it might be the expensive option??
But I've taken the propranolol today and had 3 hours without a hot flush which I think is a record - I usually have 2 or 3 an hour. I'll give it a try for a month but don't fancy the antidepressant option, so if I still feel rough I'll go back and discuss the risks. Thanks again.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

You have a very naughty GP - he shouldn't be ignoring the advice of the consultant.
At 49 you are still too young to be without oestrogen - normal menopause would be between 50-54. I'd insist on a bone density scan and certainly ask about the risk of heart decease.
HRT is not expensive - many GPs are still against HRT because of the scares back in 2002. Back then some trials showed an increase risk of breast cancer but this survey has been largely discredited because it was fundamentally flawed - it looked at women in their 60s on the old fashioned type of HRT!!!!.  The risks only really kick in 5 years beyond the natural menopause and then they are very low unless you have a family history of breast cancer.
Beta blockers can be helpful but HRT is still the best.
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »

I would contact the consultant and explain that your doc has refused you HRT. They hate having their decisions questioned! 

Taz x  >:D